1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Not sure if serious, however, that is Hank Greenberg.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

After the embarrassment of riches 2010-14 it’s easy to notice how quickly I forget, Giants are boring, no power no speed, no star (MadBum was forgotten after injury and Posey is Mauer 2.0). Duggar is slightly slower but more powerful Billy Hamilton, that’s it. Panik and Crawford can’t hit, Belts always hurt. Yeah reboot.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Posey probably shouldn't be untouchable, but they wouldn't get a lot for him anyway. He hasn't caught 100 games since 16
    and this season his ops is 741.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Seems like more of a soft reboot. I see a lot of upside in the young starters like Rodriguez. Of course, some Twitter GMs think they need to go the Cubs/Astros let's suck for a few years route, but I don't see this happening. More like a changing on the fly.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I dig Brenly.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Orioles on the verge of the third worst season since WWII. Least runs scored. Most runs allowed. And an owner that is a first ballot Asshole Hall of Fame.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Jacob deGrom in his final start, eight innings, two hits, no walks, 10 Ks. Final pitch was his 1,000th career K.

Mets lead 1-0 after 8. Expecting the bullpen to blow it, of course. If it doesn't, he'd end up at 10-9.

No matter, though. It's an absolute joke if deGrom doesn't get the Cy Young.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wins though.

Chef2 likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Haven't done the math myself, but there was a stat floating around Twitter that if the Mets scored 5 runs in each of his starts, he'd be 30-0. Four runs, he'd be 23-7, etc.

Unreal season. Pretty much every pitch he threw was in a high-leverage situation. (Well, as high-leverage as a game can be for an awful team).

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I heard a statistic about his starts tonight. Opposing pitchers have a 2.45 ERA in deGrom's starts this season. He is the only National League starting pitcher with an ERA lower than that.

bigpern23 and justgladtobehere like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not to discount what deGrom has done, but if you give almost any starting pitcher 4-5 runs in every start there's a very good chance they're winning 20 games or more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.