1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I fall into hysterical laughter, every time I think of, let alone watch, Uecker's first appearance on Carson where he told Johnny, "yes, my first professional contract with the Cardinals was for $500. It wasn't a lot of money, but it's all my parents had."

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Former Packers personnel guy Andrew Brandt often tells a story about once telling an undrafted free agent they were going to sign him for $500.

The kid said "I only have $100 right now, but I can get you the rest by the end of the week."

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Good lord, Ramon Laureano:

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Incredible catch and throw. But baserunner Eric Young Jr. went too far and couldn’t get back in time. It was a hit and run and EYJr. had already gone past second base.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My goodness. I think I found something else to get lost in the Internets with. I've always been a fan of Baseball Almanac, but this? ........

Click a single link and see every player who ever wore every number on every team in Major League history!

Baseball Uniform Numbers

I was checking to see if there were any other notable 25s for the SF Giants (they retired Bonds jersey today) there weren't.
    Theny I got to thinking if any current Giant or one who won a series with the club is a lock for HOF. I don't really know.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    FileNotFound likes this.
  6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

His father was pretty notable.

Posey is a lock. Bumgarner just needs the counting stats

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just meant Bonds the elder played less than half his career with the Giants. For a franchise as old as the Giants and a number as "prime" as 25 would have figured there would be others.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Looks like a trailer park.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't know what EYJr was doing, as he slowed down heading into second and only took a couple steps past it as Laureano was running down the ball. When the camera picks him up again he is only a few feet back past second base when he had plenty of time to be halfway back to first. He must not have been able to tell if the ball was caught.

That throw is amazing, evidenced by the first baseman just standing there and waiting and not even having to adjust his body. None of the camera angles do it justice. It's like trying to find a golf shot in the air.

ChrisLong likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This one is pretty good.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here's another one that shows how far Young went beyond second.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was kinda dumb. He paused heading into second and resumed at full speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.