1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Until I was about 30, the All-Star game was a very big deal to me. Now I'm nearing 70 and I have no interest and haven't for the last 10-15 years. The only one I remember is the tie where they ran out of pitchers. It is an anachronism, rendered irrelevant by daily interrelate play and most of all by the ubiquity of baseball broadcasting, either via cable or by streaming. There's no mystery nor glamor to the idea of a "League" team anymore. We all see all the players we want from both leagues.

maumann and lcjjdnh like this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'll take the screaming over the last team allowed into the NCAA tournament for that honor, but all-star snubs are really close.

That'd be a fun list to make, though. The NBA Finals MVP is up there, too.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

When did NESN broadcasts turn into infomercials for everything but the game?

lakefront likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

About the time you first heard the name Monica Lewinsky.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Can the Nats hire Dusty to manage the rest of the season ?

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

All-star games don't hold the same interest for me anymore, either. But let's not fool ourselves about the importance of all-star snubs in the big picture. It's a significant part of a player's legacy, how many all-star appearances he's had.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I doubt a single snub has ever been or will be significant to a player's legacy. If it would have been his only appearance, people won't call him a former all-star, but so what? There are a lot of one or even two time all-stars nobody cares about. If it is one snub out of many appearances, nobody is making a distinction between five- or six-time all-star or even two- or three-time.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Danny could have used a colon there.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Mark Redman says you can go fuck yourself. :D

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there are still Hall of Fame voters who look at a "lack" of All-Star selections in a negative way. It does matter to some extent.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Who is the player who got only one All-Star selection that made it to the Hall? Or the guy who got none, but deserves to be in the Hall?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.