1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's kind of what I'm thinking.

If he got better at 35, I'd be more circumspect. Cano played 132 games in the majors as a 22-year-old.

Without looking, I'd guess he learned better plate discipline as well,

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course they do.

And maybe Cano did too.

But he also failed a drug test for a listed masking agent.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And this writer uses his minor-to-major league performance as evidence of ... what?

Rod Carew minors: .302/.391/.384
    Rod Carew majors: .328/.393/.429

George Brett minors: .281/.356/.403
    George Brett majors: .305/.369/487

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I remember when he came up. He was considered a big prospect despite his mediocre numbers in the minors. I bet Sanchez has similar numbers.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

I would hypothesize that a lot of Dominican guys come over young and probably under-nourished, too, with very raw skill sets.

6. Dick Whitman

A lot of guys are. James Surowiecki has no idea what he's talking about.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is more likely highly touted prospects have lower minor than major league numbers because they are often rushed through the development process. They start off at a higher level than low-A, get promoted to AA quickly, and then it's the big club. The majors are the first chance they have to get consistent.

lcjjdnh and Dick Whitman like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As unfair or poorly informed as it is, that Surowiecki tweet is a pretty good example of retroactive damage to reputation.

Cano tests positive in 2018, and suddenly everything since 2006 is under suspicion.

So what does the 80-game suspension mean to Cano's Hall of Fame chances?

9. Dick Whitman

It was difficult, but not unexpected, to see the White Sox get beat to a pulp by the surprise, first-place Pittsburgh Pirates this week.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

No I didn't. I cited him as an example of a player about whom people disagree.

11. Dick Whitman

That's right. It was peripheral to the Ohtani discussion, as I recall.

12. Dick Whitman

It seems like it's all kind of related, though: Puig is a star - a bigger star than a shoo-in HOFer like Robinson Cano - because he plays in a big market for a public team, because he has an interesting backstory, and because he's charismatic and compelling as a personality. Those are also, at least in part, reasons that people even care enough about him to have differing opinions on him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.