1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They aren't wrong. Nola is a stud, but after that, it gets very dicey.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, they're not wrong at all. But the pitching market was kind of thin. They could still sign Kuechel, I guess.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Signing Harper does not prevent them from signing any available pitcher they wish to have.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It... is an interesting deal. Like, the length of time is staggering, and to me, it allows for a dizzying array of possibilities, since there isn't an opt-out, and Harper has a no trade clause. If he blows out his knee next year, and he's a shell of himself that won't retire, that's a world of hurt for the Phillies. The best-case scenario for the Phillies - that he's a generational, productive player into his 30s - would likely mean that they have a "bargain" at some point, because of the sheer length of the contract. Like, if you look at the top of the market from 2006 free agency, those contracts would be bargains in 2019: A Look Back at Baseball's 2006 Free Agent Class - And of course: 1) Almost all of those contracts were bad ideas but 2) none of those guys were as in-demand as Harper.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair point. Gotta love the ability to buy your way to victory in MLB.

I caught part of an interview with Scott Boras yesterday. He inferred that the Marlins are at fault for limiting the market for Harper. In response to questions about why the Yankees weren't really in on Harper, he talked about teams that aren't trying to compete screwing with the market. It does seem clear that trading for Stanton last year took the Yankees out of the bidding for Harper.

I do think the Phillies need to add another pitcher, if not now, then via trade during the season.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the Harper negotiations are any guide, Phils may wait until last minute in hopes market for pitchers remains quiet, then make offers. This is risky. Unlike hitters, pitchers actually need spring training.

7. TheSportsPredictor

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Larry Baer, Giants COO, issued a statement that says in part “[the incident] is not reflective of the person I ASPIRE TO BE, but it happened....”. That’s 101 for any apology IMHO. Own it, admit it, and say you intended to be a better person. How hard is that to do?

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

10. TheSportsPredictor

11. Jake from State Farm

12. Jake from State Farm

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted