1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

For which the Nationals presented him a 10-year / $300 million contract offer.

He left to take less per year with another organization.

It's probably fair that some Nats fans are rankled.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

From what I'm seeing on Twitter from the local guys, both the Giants and Dodgers made similar offers, but needed to increase the offers to offset California taxes.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hey I'm just stating facts from an economist's perspective, its about supply and demand. Yeah he made $21m last year, but that's still not equal to what someone who would have been in a free market would have generated.

The amount is irrelevant, why is that even a factor? Its not the fans $$, its the owner's money and the owners are making a ton of $$ such that $21M is very low compared to his value.

I just think its not consistent to criticize Harper for what he got on the free market when he's finally free after examining all of the steps it took to get to that spot. Most importantly, think of how rare it is to actually get to the exact point he did. He should be lauded, not boo'd.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Meh.

I like our roster. I think - on paper - Nats are still better than the Phillies.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but it depends on Strasburg

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yeah. That's mostly based on the starting pitching. If those guys struggle ...

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Nats' offer was heavily deferred, which makes the contracts pretty similar in actual value.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have no idea why Harper wanted out of DC, but it's been obvious from the start he did.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Same raspberry from the DC bleachers in either case.

Eyeblack Bryce Harper spurned them.

heyabbott likes this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Huggy and heyabbott like this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"We had average values of $45 million offered on shorter-term deals," Harper's agent, Scott Boras, told the New York Post. "We had a full buffet."

it would take 7 years at 45 to get to 330

if he turned down even a 5 year contract at an average of 45 per season, he's a fool and just wanted the headline of biggest FA contract.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I guess you wouldn’t have signed Bonds in 93 or Trout when he becomes available.

Draft saved Draft deleted