1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

WAR is a simple concept, really. Launch angle only means, how high does he hit the ball, a concept I first encountered in reading Ted Williams' The Science of Hitting. Not all, but a lot of the newer (not so new anymore) baseball stats are to quantify ideas that have been around the game since John McGraw was a player. That's useful, but I question how revolutionary it is.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Exactly. There is a non-zero chance he'll opt out at some point, and it'll work out fine for the Padres. Also, sometimes players with no-trade clauses waive them, and the team makes a good deal. The player still has control in both cases though, and the opt-out gives the player leverage. The Padres would have been better served with no opt-out, but I have no clue if they could have gotten the deal done without it.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You spelled Eckstein wrong.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Harper’s career WAR is 27, after 7 full seasons. 10 or 37% of that is from a single season 4 years ago. Absent his MVP season, he’s about .266/..379./.495 Still very good but not a generational player. I don’t think it’s right to ignore his best season, but it was 4 years ago and he hasn’t really approached that level since, so it should be discounted. I think a team is allowed to say that some risk should be borne by the player who has to produce better than they have in order to justify the contract.

He and Machado have very similar numbers, Harper walks more, but otherwise very similar. When San Diego got Machado they want him to maintain his career production When someone gets Harper, they aren’t look for him to be a .279 hitter with .500 slugging for $35 million. They want a .300 hitter with a .570 slugging.
    Harper isn’t Trout. Not close. But then again, no one else is.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In the 1980s the "get off my lawn" brigade railed that nobody cared about on-base percentage, and fielding average was a big deal.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Keuchel to the Reds for 6 years/$145M according to Heyman.

8. heyabbott

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don’t see that anywhere, so it might have been a fake account.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. heyabbott

• Pitcher A career numbers: 3.66 ERA, 7.9 SO/9, 3.1 BB/9, 0.9 HR/9, 53.3 GB%, 110 ERA+, 3.74 FIP, 1.247 WHIP, 29 years old.
    • Pitcher B career numbers: 3.66 ERA, 7.2 SO/9, 2.6 BB/9, 0.9 HR/9, 58.8 GB%, 108 ERA+, 3.72 FIP, 1.250 WHIP, 31 years old.
    One pitcher got a 3/30 contract extension. The other is Keuchel.

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Same.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You're right. A buddy of mine sent it to our fantasy league, but the account is @jonhaymen_. I should have looked closer. Mea culpa.

Draft saved Draft deleted