1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Everybody here in Boston assumed Price would opt out of his deal, but then the 2018 postseason happened, and he didn't. What if Machado shares the assumption I've seen within the baseball community that the Padres are a team with a bright future and he's right? Would he opt out after a Series or two?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If he thought he could make more money.

3. Michael_ Gee

Yes, sure, but one of the main contentions of this thread is that nobody would give 31=year old Machado more than $30 million a year for five years because baseball doesn't do that anymore. By then, there will be five years more documentary evidence of that premise, or evidence contradicting it. Nobody tosses away $15o mill because they THINK they can make more. They have to be pretty damn sure.

JC likes this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, they may be, but the player controls the whole process.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Or basketball, football......

6. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Good ol’ Aubrey Huff:

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I feel like Einstein discussing time with a watch salesman

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm supposed think he's a jerk who needs to get with the times, but my humble opinion he's not far off. I hate these new stats telling me what someone could have done if you apply voodoo calculus to their stats then you know what he's might do 33 percent of the time.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Does anyone think newfangled stats got Machado the contract that for the last two years everyone said he'd be getting?

11. Michael_ Gee

The numbers are used to illustrate the following concepts. 1. The younger the player, the better chance he has of being a satisfactory nine digit investment. 2. The better the player the better chance of ROI. I do not believe super deep analysis is required to validate those two insights. PS: Mike Trout will by 28 1/2 when he's up for a new deal.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I feel the same and as for this line: WAR, spin rate, launch angle?... who gives a shit. Spot on, who gives a shit.

Get off my lawn etc.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted