1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Probably more pressure as “the man” in Chicago than as one among guys like Judge, Stanton and Sanchez. More guys around to take the pressure off.

And it seems to be widely believed he’d take less to play for the Yankees than elsewhere. How much less (if at any) remains to be seen.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As a Braves fan, I'm just glad he's not going to the NL East.

BrownScribe and TigerVols like this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Huh. Who thought the Padres had it in them? NL West is going to be a beast to get through with the Dodgers, Rockies and now Pads. Depending on how bad the Giants and D'Backs actually are, should be a good season .... for fans other than me. My G-men are going to su-diddily-uck.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'd read a while back that they were dark horses for both of these guys. He's going to the perfect city for a player who doesn't care about hustling all the time.

8. TheSportsPredictor

Padres still a couple years away. Bountiful farm system; we'll see who pans out. Their pitching remains a disaster.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Why do pud executives feel the need to do this?

The money's agreed upon, according to multiple sources. Machado just needs to pass his physical. Why be a prick about it?

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Because maybe they don't have a deal? I mean, the executive chairman is a pretty good source.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Not really. Multiple trusted MLB reporters say the money's done. Literally all Machado has to do is pass the physical and sign the contract.

It's fine if the exec technically had nothing to confirm. A "no comment" would have sufficed.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hey, let's remember that the G-men are loaded with home grown talent at 1B, 2B, SS, C, MadBum, oh wait, its not 2015 is it?

Here's a tip of the cap to the Padres for at least trying to win; (I'm not sure that if I had that much $$ I'd spend $474M on Hosmer and Machado). IMHO, looking back 5 yrs from now, Harper will be the better investment than Machado, but my can't spend $$ would be bet on Arenado aging better than both.

Draft saved Draft deleted