1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Even John Goodman looked better.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well, what gives you a better chance to score and end the game?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't have a problem with the length of MLB games. All these proposed changes would shave — what? — at best a few minutes off game times. Maddux ain't coming out of retirement to pitch a 2-hour complete game. It's basically a 3-hour commitment. Nobody bitches about spending three hours watching an NFL game.

Batman, HanSenSE and MTM like this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yes, people bitch about the length of an NFL game, if you are at the game. The constant interruptions. The reviews, followed by a commercial, followed by a punt, followed by a commercial, followed by an incomplete pass, followed by the end of the quarter. The commercials between the TD review and the extra point and the kick off and the first play. The extra time devoted to half time on a 4:25 game to lush it into extended prime time on Sunday. And if you’re in the stands in October-January in cold weather city, it’s sucks.

The games aren’t too long, there’s just not enough game

7. John B. Foster

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

First, if you don't think they'll work in the MLB you're using dental dams wrong

Second, why would you even take it that far?

Third, I wasn't entirely kidding. The international tie-break rule actually does speed softball games up, especially when you have two quality pitchers.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It has happened twice, Canucks lost to the Oilers on April 7, 2000 and the Kings lost to the Blue Jackets on March 25, 2003. Don't ask me why I know that.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Making the games shorter is as easy as enforcing the rule that batters can't leave the box. End all of the walking around and adjusting and the game will be 20 minutes shorter.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

First, someone can explain that to me
    Second, it’s what I do
    Third, I knew that.

12. John B. Foster

MLB are concentrating on the big issues:

Draft saved Draft deleted