1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The Mets really seem hot and bothered to acquire Realmuto. They have a need a catcher because D’Arnaud can’t stay healthy, but I have no idea why they would consider moving Thor for a catcher. You can get by in MLB with an average or even terrible catcher because the position is so thin. You can’t get by without pitching.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Agreed on the catcher thing as we begin to quantify just how important framing skills are to a pitching staff's success. At this point I'd just try to find as good of a pitch framer as possible, not worry about offense, and use that money you're saving not paying for offensive production elsewhere. I mean, if you've developed a stud who can hit and handle the pitchers and get strikes with his framing, you're thrilled. But I wouldn't pay for it right now.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Unfortunately what happens when your MVP HOFer C becomes an old Boggs at the plate (good OBP but no power)?

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You call the Twins and ask them what to do and they respond with 10 seconds of absolute silence.

Also, I'd just stare at the shiny trophies he helped me win.

5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He was Dave Martinez replacement in Chicago. Dave isn’t working out too well.

7. John B. Foster

I think there are a couple of Atlanta fans here. Just mesmerized by this picture.

TigerVols likes this.
  8. bigpern23

I don't get what's so mesmerizing about this shot. It's just a picture of Warren Spahn. The baseball isn't even visible, which is generally preferred.

9. John B. Foster

I think there are a couple of Atlanta fans here. Just mesmerized by this picture.

Pitchers are not supposed to show the batters the ball....

10. bigpern23

Photographers are.

sgreenwell and Sea Bass like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Warren Spahn never pitched for Atlanta.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Have never heard of the guy, but his credentials seem legit.

Draft saved Draft deleted