1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm still stunned by the fact the Royals have not been to the playoffs since I watched them from a barstool at T-Bakers in CoMo win the WS my freshman year.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Potential headline:

Royals extend postseason winning streak to 4 games

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I really liked Cain when he came up to the Brewers in 2010 and was sad to see him included in the Greinke trade.

Yes, the Brewers got a 2011 Division championship, but the Royals have two everyday players (Cain and Alcides Escobar) while the Brewers basically have Jean Segura (hitting less than .250 over last season and a half) and a young pitcher (Johnny Hellweg) who underwent Tommy John surgery this year (players they got for Greinke in 2012) to show for the deal. They also gave up minor-leaguer Jake Odorizzi, who made 31 starts this season for Tampa Bay. Odorizzi was part of the trade that netted the Royals Shields.

Odorizzi was a first-round pick in 2008, and the Brewers also gave up their 2006 first-round pick Jeremy Jeffress in that deal. Jeffress was cut by Toronto this spring and signed with the Brewers. He had a very nice second half of the season out of the bullpen.

The Brewers did get another young pitcher in the deal, but Ariel Pena is now 25 and was 9-8 with a 4.56 ERA at AAA Nashville this past season.

4. old_tony

So James Shields is your "big-game" pitcher and Ned takes him out with no outs in the sixth?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This just in: Ned Yost is a shitty tactical manager.

But yeah, if you can't get 6 from your starting pitcher in a one-game series, it doesn't matter how good your bullpen is.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Shit, I thought this bullpen was Yost proof.

7. LongTimeListener

Moss already had a home run and a hard line drive against him. It was the right call.

What was the wrong call was going to a starter prone to wildness. They should have just rolled their bullpen aces and asked for a little extra from each. That was the highest-leverage AB of the game.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This is unfortunate. The crowd was downright awesome while this game was close and it was fun to watch. Now? It's like watching an A's-Royals game. :D

9. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Not a lot of available camera angles on that ball down the line.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[REDACTED]

11. LongTimeListener

12. old_tony

Well, this has really gotten fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted