1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

They play the game the right way, you know.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Best fans in baseball. :/

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The amount of Oakland love - and it's not just here - surprises me.

Guys, they can't hit. They do not hit.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Jonah Keri and the FiveThirtyEight guys have studied what happens when a team backs into the postseason- there is no discernible drop-off in performance.
    Oakland was still the best team in baseball two months ago.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

True enough, but that team had a different cleanup hitter. Sort of a disruptive change there. It is my belief both the sabermetricians and eyes-first baseball guys overrate the importance of starting pitching in the playoffs. Oh, yeah it's very important, but not all important. If it was as important as Keri seemed to say last night, the Braves would've won seven World Series in the '90s.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still not sure which is worse, those Braves winning just once or the Bills losing 4 SBs in a row.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The Bills got some bad luck. I view the Braves similar to the Colts in that they couldn't win the big one, until they ended up in the title game against someone even less equipped to win the big one (Indians, Bears). The Bills never got that.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

Gee-
    I'm not high on Oakland's chances.
    But I don't think LAA is as bulletproof as folks seem to think, and Oakland still has plenty of weapons.
    The A's can't hit left-handed pitching and that is going to be interesting to see if they advance.
    The Royals- eh. Nice story, but let's be honest, this is not a good team.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Beyond the early 90s, the Braves also tended to do the exact opposite of backing into the playoffs -- they coasted in, usually having spent most of September playing basically meaningless games.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Orioles are a good team, not excellent, but solid. They have the power hitters to beat top starters with a couple of homers in a game.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

Baltimore is stocked with good hitters who can field their positions, no black holes in their lineup, a fantastic bullpen and a great manager. I like them to go to the Series.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

O's are error prone at 3B lately.

And they have three positions batting in the low .200 range (2B, C, 3B).

Would love to see them make the series. Have had to overcome a lot of adversity.

Draft saved Draft deleted