1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Last start for each of the Nats playoff starters: 31 innings. 38 Ks. 6 hits. ZERO runs. 3 hits by Fister, 2 by Strasburg (20 straight scoreless innings), 1 by Gonzalez and none by Zimmermann.

All of which means jackshit come Friday - maybe they left their best behind.

The Strasburg of the past two months has been remarkably good. In July I wouldn't have said he should start the playoff opener. Now there's no question.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Don't even know if I'd say remarkably good, because this is what the guy should have been doing all along with his tools.

3. Moderator1

Say huh? Just because he should have been doing it doesn't make it not remarkably good.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As much as everyone gave the Nats grief for shutting Strasburg down to preserve his post-surgical arm, it apparently served its purpose because he didn't/hasn't turn(ed) into another Kerry Wood or Mark Prior or any other number of dynamic young guys who blew out their arms over and over never to be heard from again (at least yet).

It may have taken him until the last 2 months to finally shed the mental part of everything.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's been great.

The next step, and I assume Nats fans agree, is to start pitching deeper into games consistently.

6. Moderator1

Yep. He's a pretty fascinating study. Great tools, overthinks things, trying to find the balance between thrower-pitcher. It has been fun to watch him over the years and I think - knock on wood and all that - it has all finally clicked. He has been going deeper into games lately and he does indeed to continue.

Be curious to see if he can put together an entire season similar to his past two months.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ron Gardenhire out in Minnesota, per Patrick Reusse.

I know that organization prides itself on stability, but after four straight 90-loss seasons it was probably past time.

8. Moderator1

I assume you mean 90-loss seasons? Because four straight 90-win is pretty damn good

9. Steak Snabler

I did. Crap.

10. Moderator1

No worries - and speaking of upcoming changes: what's going on with your boys? Fredi out?

11. Steak Snabler

Supposed to meet with Hart Wednesday, but I think he gets one more year. When they brought Bobby Cox back into the decision-making fold, that told me all I need to know.

If Hart fired Fredi without Cox's blessing, Bobby would strangle him with his bare hands.

12. Steak Snabler

With Gardenhire's firing, MLB's longest-tenured manager is now Joe Maddon at 9 seasons. Wonder when was the last time there wasn't an active manager with at least a decade at his current job?

Draft saved Draft deleted