1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I thought you were on board for this tanking?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Nope, and I never have been. They aren't going to suck forever, but it's always been a bad plan.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Talk about a pretty cool comeback story. He hit 26 HRs for the Astros when they won the NL in '05. Didn't do much after that, bounced around the minors and then started doing a little relief pitching in the minors. Becomes a starter in the independent league, does pretty well and ends up back in the majors for the first time in seven years.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Much better comeback story than Jim Hoey.

5. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Considering that he was talking about Robert Fraley who died in the 1999 Lear plane crash with Payne Stewart and 4 others, I saw no problem with his acknowledgment of Fraley and his showing his emotions about Fraley's death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South_Dakota_Learjet_crash

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1999-10-26/news/9910260083_1_robert-fraley-ardan-sports

6. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Laugh all you want, but this makes Alex Guerrero pretty expendable. And the Giants are going to be in the running.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If only the Giants had multiple prospects, outside of Crick. Which makes NDJ's logic even more laughable.

The other thing is, the Giants are leaking water in multiple places, not just second base. Posey's backup, Sanchez, is on the concussion DL. Someone was called up from Fresno, but your emergency catcher is still Pablo Sandoval. No idea how long Cain will be out, but I'm betting he may not be seen until ST2015. Belt's been woozy since the All-Star break. Pagan may start his rehab assignment this week. And a lot of decisions will have to be made in the offseason on Sandoval and other potential FAs.

I think Connie Britton and Hayden Panitierre have a better chance of singing the Sunday Night Football theme than the Giants do of dealing with the Dodgers. [/archival crossthread]

8. NDJournalist

All I said is that a package including Crick could entice the Dodgers into doing the deal.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Because what the Dodgers most need to do right now is keep their only NL West competition afloat.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hanley Ramirez is a free agent after this season. Guerrero will be at short next year, or at second with Dee Gordon at short.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, your clubhouse leader ...

12. NDJournalist

It's about sustained success. Crick would fit in nicely in the Dodgers rotation.

Draft saved Draft deleted