1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MJS raised pimp hand to Whitlock.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by old_tony, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Just quoting this one for the record.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm no fan of all of Wisconsin, but Madison is one of the cooler places in America.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Why do I have the feeling that one of the issues here would be $$$? I don't see a paper like the MJS (very good section) being able to shell out the $500K-plus I'm assuming it would take to hire someone has high profile as Whitlock.

The MJS failed in its attempt to hire Rick Maese and Nancy Armour and for reasons unknown to me, didn't pursue Greg Couch.

If Whitlock was interviewing in Milwaukee for any reason other than to try to squeeze more $$$ out of KC, it would surprise me... But, you never know...

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

It says the meeting was a few years ago -- perhaps before his profile was so high.

Do you think KC is paying him $500K?

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Howard states that during the meeting a few years ago, in which Whitlock was late for, Jason allegedly began the interview by stating “you’re a damn fool if you don’t hire me.”

Don't you love blog writing?

6. Mizzougrad96

My sources tell me this "meeting" was 13 years ago...

I'm guessing most of the story is complete bullshit...

7. Mizzougrad96

That would be my over/under guess... I've been told there are 10-12 columnists who are making $500K or more from their papers. There are a few obvious ones (Albom, Lupica, Wilbon, Kornheiser, Mariotti) and a few others (Ryan, Conlin, Paige, Whitlock, Simers, Plaschke, Le Batard, Stephen A...)

Although, I think I've read that the Herald pays DLB $450K annually and that Stephen A. is in the $250K range...)

If Whitlock is making less than $500K from KC, he's underpaid...

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So you're guessing the Star is sinking more than $1 million into its columnists? Because if Whitlock is worth $500K, Joe Posnanski is worth even more.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Last I heard, Whitlock was joining FoxSports.com.

Wish he'd come back here.

10. Mizzougrad96

I agree...

11. Flash

Flash Guest

No sportswriter is worth more than $350 a week. [/myfirstME]

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Too bad I can't make "In Which Whitlock Was Late For" my SportsJournalists.com handle for a day. Or "Buck's." Makes me miss the Great Cockdian Name-Change of 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted