1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mizzou question ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Why's that?

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Because he doesn't like to use ellipses...

3. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

That, and hearing how people spent money on all these classes and it didn't contribute to their work.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Along with cross cultural in uselessness was my History of American J class with Volz. My grade actually went up in there when I stopped going to class.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I had Bonnie Brennan for that class. It wasn't so bad ... at least we got to read "All the President's Men" ...

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Sportsdude, if you are going back to school you probably already have a degree in something. Did you not have any classes that were required that you would have rather not taken?

Mizzou has a great journalism school and going to the school and doing the things I was able to do there helped me get where I am. The school has amazing things to offer, but those mostly center around "The Missouri Method" aka real world experience at a daily paper or the local NBC affiliate. I would like to think the main reason I landed the internships that I did and my first/current job was because of the work that I did at the Missourian, competing against STL, KC, and the Columbia Daily Trib on the MU football and other beats.

The real-world experience and being able to apply what you learn in class to that experience is great. Some of the classes that are strictly theory are rough, and seem like common sense. I know changes have been made to Cross Culture Journalism, and I didn't have a good prof for it. But for me, and most other people in class, the class seemed like a waste of time because they were teaching what seemed to be common sense. Each lecture it seemed like we were presented with a group of people and told how not to stereotype them in stories. Some people might have learned from this, others already knew that stereotyping was bad. Another class that would fit in this category is History of American Journalism. I understand why it's important to know some journalism history, but I can't say I've used my knowledge of the Penny Press in the "real world."

This thread or some of these posts shouldn't discourage you from MU or any other school if you are thinking about grad school. Take it as guys thinking back to the good ole days and griping about some small things. No university or academic requirements are perfect. I thought some gen-ed classes were a waste of time because my high school classes were just as tough, but I don't blame MU for that.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If you're thinking about grad school and want to minimize the theory (compared to other schools) and maximize learning new things about how to do journalism both in the present and future, MU is excellent.

Unless you were in broadcast before.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Be the best mentor you can and make sure in double-majors in journalism and something he can actually use.

9. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned (and I'm pretty sure was in effect when I was there and still is today) is that though getting into the J-School isn't the toughest thing in the world, they don't necessarily have to accept you into your first sequence of choice. So, for instance, if you want to go into TV (which most do) but they have too many applicants, they might admit you to the J-School but then stick you in the magazine sequence. Don't know how often it happens, but I'm pretty sure it's still a possibility.

10. GregBowers

GregBowers New Member

Sorry to break into the thread, but a couple of things…
    The Missourian is a daily AM community paper, produced by students at the Missouri School of Journalism and managed by professional editors. Those professional editors are also faculty members at the J-School. The Missourian experience, which counts as credit work at Missouri, is in effect an internship without leaving campus.
    The J-School also has a television station (KOMU) a PBS radio station (KBIA) and a magazine (Vox) that are operated the same way.
    The Maneater, not affiliated with the J-School, is more of the traditional college paper.
    At the Missourian, students cover sports at the University and local high schools and colleges (two smaller colleges are also in town). The student journalists travel with the football team. Travel with the basketball team depends on the team’s success, something that hasn’t been too much of an issue recently.
    The Missourian sports staff has done well in the Missouri Press Association contest and, recently, had two writers named to the Top 10 in the under-40,000 group in the APSE contest. A special section also received a honorable mention. Although APSE awards have been minimalized on other parts of this boards, that’s still not bad for undergraduates.
    And, happily, Piotr is a bit off on his salary guess for the Missourian’s “adults.”
    FirstDownPirates, my suggestion is that your mentee visit Missouri, talk with some folks here and get a “feel” for the place. He can also e-mail me at bowersg@missouri.edu and I’ll do my best to answer his questions.
    Again, sorry to break into the thread…

11. Jeremy Goodwin

FYI, Greg is the sports editor at the Missourian.

Here's a release about this year's Missourian APSE winners:
    http://journalism.missouri.edu/news/2008/03-07-ap-sports-editors.html

The paper was a Sunday honorable mention section last year.
    As Greg said, not bad for a bunch of undergrads.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, greg is a fucking stud.

serious good guy who's a straight shooter ... and i'm not even greg's mom.

Draft saved Draft deleted