1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mizzou question ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 24, 2008.

1. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Cross-cultural is indeed a new prereq. Probably better to make wide-eyed freshmen sit through it than upperclassmen who knew better than to attend lecture.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Good call, Lorax. I had it as a night class and I know some upperclassmen opted to have a few drinks before class to make it more entertaining...

My apologies for forgetting the ellipsis on my last post...

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No kidding. Great work on guiding him to a level that would no doubt put him ahead of many of his peers.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Ah, Cross-Cultural Journalism.
    The class so boring it made my wife (then just a friend) think I was interesting.

5. Simon

Simon Active Member

3.0 to get in...but you can appeal if you don't get it and get in with a lower GPA but it is risky as hell. Don't do it. The pre-reqs aren't too terrible. I got an A in every pre-journalism class. As some students like to say, Brian Brooks(the undergrad dean) doesn't care about journalism...he cares about GPA. I don't believe that but they have an argument.

They've changed Cross Cultural a lot since then. It's pretty interesting with Ernest Perry teaching.

If I was a kid from the east coast, I'd go to Syracuse. I'm almost 100 percent sure that The Daily Orange has a bigger sports travel budget than the Missourian has. Missourian basketball writers don't travel anywhere except KU and the Big 12 tournament. They have more internships paths from there and maybe a sports curriculum which doesn't exist at the J-school.

6. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

All journalism lectures are useless unless you're:
    1. completely drunk or stoned
    2: prepared with a crossword puzzle, word jumble or word-find
    3: trying to screw one of your classmates

I didn't learn squadoosh in any of my big classes, and look how I turned out.

Cross-cultural was the most useless lecture of all of them. It's just a bunch of intellectuals masturbating and comparing the size of their academic dicks...

7. Simon

Simon Active Member

Are you sure you aren't talking about Missourian lecture with the editors talking about any story they give good coverage on?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Mentoring can be an incredibly rewarding experience...

Congrats to the new effin' stud in the making...

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Thanks for the info and the kind words. I'm pretty sure this kid was fine without me and just signed up for the program to have something to put on his college applications, but it's been neat to forge a relationship with someone his age now that I'm able to look at that period of life in the context of my full 33 years.

Wherever he ends up, we're still figuring out how he's going to pay for all of it ...

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Holy crap, Brian Brooks is still there? He seemed old and cranky when I was there!

If cost is a factor, I'm thinking Mizzou might be a bit cheaper than Syracuse.

11. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

At least in those lectures, the explicit point is teaching people how to be reporters. Cross-cultural teaches you how to have common sense and treats you like you're an eight-year-old whose parents are Neo-Nazis.

"Whoa, you mean that not all African-Americans like rap music and basketball, and that you shouldn't characterize them like that in stories? Wow, what a breakthrough!"

Big difference.

12. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

It's been a few years since I was there, but the Missourian went to most Big 12 road basketball games. Did all football games obviously, and I think in days when the bball team was relevant went to all the bball games. That's not to say money's a bit short. I think you get something absurd like 15 cents a mile.

Draft saved Draft deleted