1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mizzou coach Haith's job in jeopardy over Miami days

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 21, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21594332/missouris-haith-faces-ncaa-notice-of-allegations-in-miami-shapiro-case-possibly-this-week

Haith, you'll recall, was a significant part of the Nevin Shapiro story at The U. This report by Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports says Haith faces a charge of unethical conduct and failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance, charges that "could result in a multiple-year show-cause penalty." If that's the case, he's probably benched after the season, yeah?

It would be a rare instance where the system doesn't allow a coach to escape trouble by skipping town.

Big difference between Haith and Calipari, I guess, is that Calipari has World Wide Wes and the draft in his corner.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Some day, Missouri will actually nail its basketball coaching hire instead of being embarrassed by him.

Of course, the Tigers' greatest coach never made a Final Four, so it's all relative.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Dear Mike Alden,

Thanks again for choosing Quin Snyder instead of Bill Self.

Sincerely,
    The University of Kansas

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You can have Mike Anderson back if you want him.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

No worries. No Final Four banners to take down.

I never understood Mizzou basketball growing up in the heart of it. My parents (both MU alums) would get so excited about winning the Big 8 tournament at Kemper.

And then lose to Xavier, Rhode Island, Northern Iowa in the first round.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

The Missouri Tigers fan is a fascinating breed. Not arrogant like the Illini fan, but both are quite proud over very little actual national glory.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Could this get Mike Alden fired? I mean, he surely knew this was a possibility, yes?

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Chriky. They couldn't even get this hire right.

The SEC must be giddy with delight to have Mizzou in.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's the big question. I'm pretty sure that when that Shapiro story came out and Haith's name was first mentioned in it, he had yet to coach a game at Mizzou.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's true, LTL. I actually wanted him fired before the season began to avoid this mess. Surprised it has taken this long for it to catch up with him.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Norrin, I wouldn't say Mizzou fans are "proud" of what little national glory the Tiggers basketball team has had. Instead, we're a perpetually hopeful bunch — but we're also always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Last season's first-round exit was entirely predictable, especially after watching the first 10 minutes. And if Haith goes down for the Miami shenanigans, well it's Rhode Island, the Fifth Down, the Kicked Ball, Tyus Edney and Norfolk State. It's Mizzou. It's what we do.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hey, Kansas, with Paul Pierce and Raef LaFrentz, lost to Rhode Island as the Number 1 team in the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted