1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mixing dating and work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Craig Sagers Tailor, Jul 4, 2010.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The Most Interesting Man in the World on mixing dating and work: "No."

2. Since when is casual sex serious?

Like RickStain said, she's prolly a Lesbo anyway.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Rules are completely different for female sportswriters. But you already knew that.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think there's a huge difference between preps and pros, or even college. Some of my perception is because I've never lived in an area where preps are considered "important" or anything, but pros and colleges usually generate substantially more money, attention, and everything else than preps tend to. Journalism is journalism, yeah. But I think an assistant coach in a small town is something different than an assistant coach on a super bowl winner. Maybe it's a bad explanation, and I'm not saying it's a good idea to actively look for such a thing to happen, but sometimes as relationships and familiarity develop, sometimes something good can too. And at the prep level, I think it's ok to explore that. Not everyone will agree with me though.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I disagree. In fact, I'd say in a small town, an assistant coach -- even girls basketball or softball -- might be better known than, say, the tight ends coach for a Super Bowl team. In a small town, HS sports is all there is, and often it's a big deal. Plus, you have the typical small town dynamic in which everyonw knows everyone and news/rumors travel extremely fast. I'd say it would probably be easier for a female sportswriter to keep a relationship with an NFL assistant coach (not counting coordinators, who have grown into fairly big names in most cities) quiet than for a male writer to have a low-profile relationship with a female HS assistant in many small towns.

And because small towns often take HS coverage far more seriously than big city dwellers take pro coverage (to the point that, in addition to the ubiquitous, 'You hate our school' calls, some fans/parents actually measure the length of stories on rival teams), I'd say the small-town relationship is just as likely if not more likely to blow up into a problem than the big-city relationship.

Just a humble opinion from a longtime loser with a laughable dating history. Take it for what it's worth.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yes sir, I did.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Swing and a miss.

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

LOL

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

sorry it didn't go anywhere man, but it sounded pretty simple...I wouldn't expect any awkwardness when you go to cover the team.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Well, not until their first loss.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted