1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mixing dating and work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Craig Sagers Tailor, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Go for it. In a small town, I simply can't see how you're paid enough to sacrifice your personal life because of girl's sports coverage. If you're shot down, so what, it happens to all of us. If it works, then all the better. And, if the worst happens, at most maybe 10 people will give two shits enough to pore through the pages and look for bias. Your paper gets that many calls about other stupid shit as it is, why is anyone in charge going to care about claims of bias when it comes to volleyball or field hockey or whatever is, in all likelihood, pretty low on the totem pole to begin with?

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't care if you live in Bugtussle or New York City, if there is someone you have an attraction to that could lead to a meaningful relationship, work be damned. Now if it's just some chick you want to bang and move on, then no, it's not worth the hassle.

I would keep the approach to asking her out light so if rejection follows there isn't an uncomfortable problem... sort of a passing "Hey, why don't we go get something to eat" kinda thing. If she says yes, great. If she says no, then it wasn't like you got jilted.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Somebody takes things a little too seriously.

How many prep writers even talk to assistant coaches for stories.

Go for it and don't look back. If she shoots you down, it's her loss and move on. If she doesn't, have a blast.

4. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Exactamundo. I'm amazed by some of the responses here, then again, I'm not.

Word.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

While I understand the reasons for the referenced code -- we DO have to have integrity in our work -- I think 99 percent of the rest of the world things journalism is drowning in a sea of its own bullshit when it comes to this stuff. And they wouldn't be altogether wrong. By all means, cast your line and see what happens.

BTW, I'm surprised how much support the "date her" option is getting here.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Go for it. Just be professional in how you cover that team.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I would have only expressed reservations if there was a substantial age disparity, namely the female coach being much younger than the guy, just for appearances' sake. But my guess is that's not the case here.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

>>>Besides, what are his options if he does want to date? <<<

I've been in some damn small towns, and almost all of them had more than one datable woman.

I doubt that his options are limited to this woman and monasticism.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If things work out, ask if she wants a promotion to "head" coach ... if you know what I mean.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but a coach might understand better.

Hard to get a relationship going when your dating nights are Monday and Tuesday or maybe lunch at Chilis on Thursday.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Take her out and then make sure to tell her that your decision to do so was based on a collective decision from your internet friends whom you've never met. You will surely get a second date.

Just kidding. You need to do it. The fact that you realize it could be a conflict of interest probably means you won't let it be a conflict of interest. She's a coach, so she probably likes sports equally as much as you, so there ya go - something to talk about on your lunch date. Also she's a coach so she's also grossly underpaid. Something to think about while your speeding out of the parking lot after you dined and dashed.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Anything that she blurts out in bed is probably off-the-record.

Draft saved Draft deleted