1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mixing dating and work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Craig Sagers Tailor, Jul 4, 2010.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Sounds OK to me, but, yeah, let your boss knows if and when it gets to the point you are officially dating.

Can't blame you for wanting to go out with her. You are in Podunk with little else around, and coaches have a built-in compatibility with sportswriters---shared interest and knowledge of sports. That goes a long way.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would not tell your boss unless it gets serious. As long as you're professional when working, it's not his business.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think the real question is whether or not she'll let you Spiderman her. If so, she's a keeper and it's worth putting your job on the back-burner. That shit is rare, son.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Agree with most of the positives, not so much the negatives, and just am not sure about some of the references made from a different generation's perspective...

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd wait until you actually go on a date. She has to say yes first.

6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Just make your move quickly. Once she realizes how much people in our profession make, her interest will probably shift to one of the umpires or game officials.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I looked this up.

I now regret doing so.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Maybe your boss has a cute daughter?

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

no big deal...go for it.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Go web go!

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

She turns him down. Or else they go out, it goes nowhere and she tells him not to call again.

He covers her team's game. He writes something that's not complimentary about the team. Everybody at that school screams, "Hey, Romeo is taking it out on us because Juliet shot him down."

Or they strike up a romance. Pretty soon, people see them in the next town splitting a $5 foot-long and making goo-goo eyes at each other. Then people from other schools say, "Hey, our team can't get a fair shake because Romeo is tapping Juliet."

It isn't worth the hassle. Don't try to date people you cover.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

She's an assistant coach. I've lived in my current small town for about 16 years of my life, and I can name maybe five or six off the top of my head. If people are going to make the leap because they see a guy dating an assistant coach, then I imagine they'll also be the type to nitpick about 10 other things he does in the course of his work.

Besides, what are his options if he does want to date? Venture into the next county or state over to avoid any potential conflict of interest? Because hey, if it is a small / small-ish town, then the cute girl at the coffee house is no doubt the mayor's daughter, and clearly he'll have a conflict of interest toward XYZ High School because he's boning her....

I think it would be different if he was on a news beat and she was an elected politician or candidate, or if she was a head coach, or if he was talking about a co-worker. But as is, if she's interested, it seems like an innocent enough start to a relationship. (Caveat: If she's promoted to head coach, that's definitely a cause for recusing.)

Draft saved Draft deleted