1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mitt Romney's back to being honest again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In this obit for the founder of Staples.

Romney also credited Mr. Stemberg with persuading him to push for health care reform in Massachusetts when he was governor.

Romney said that shortly after he was elected, Mr. Stemberg asked him why he ran for governor. Romney said he told him that he wanted to help people, and Mr. Stemberg replied that if he really wanted to help, he should give everyone access to health care, which Romney said he hadn’t really considered before.

“Without Tom pushing it, I don’t think we would have had Romneycare,” Romney said. “Without Romneycare, I don’t think we would have Obamacare. So, without Tom a lot of people wouldn’t have health insurance.”

Regardless whether you agree with universal or near-universal health care, Romney did and clearly still does.

A shame he said this when he was running for president:

“If I am elected president, I will issue on my first day in office an executive order paving the way for waivers from ObamaCare for all 50 states. Subsequently, I will call on Congress to fully repeal ObamaCare.”

One reason Donald Trump might win? Because, for ass-from-elbow lemonheaded as he might be - as any political candidate might be - you do get the sense that it's his ass and his elbow he's babbling about, that he's not puppeting up for a handful of folks using him as a stooge for their own cockeyed vision they're not courageous enough to run for themselves.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Yeah, Romney was a total puppet. You often see people with his net worth doing others' bidding.

(For the record, I'm not a fan of Romney.)

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

His signature achievement as governor of Massachusetts - a wildly liberal state in which Obama swept all 14 counties in 2012, which tells you something about Romney's ability to even get elected governor in the first place - disappeared from his gameplan by 2012.

I liked Romney, actually - well the Romney that governed Massachusetts.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

So you're saying MORE money is the answer to fixing presidential elections?

Draft saved Draft deleted