1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mitt Romney -- I Warned Y'all

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 8, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, Mitt supposedly spent a mint to do it, but he got his straw poll win.

2. But the difference is Catholicism was a lot more common and respected in the 1960s than Mormonism is now. Plus, Kennedy did it as a Democrat. He didn't have the fundamentalists as his base like Romney does.
    I'll say it again -- he won't win the GOP nomination. It looks like Guliani or Thompson at this point.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Honestly, I was very concerned about the options, but feel much better about Romney & Guiliani after the early debates. Still not sold on either yet, but not quite ready to concede this as a '96 rerun, which I was afraid would happen.

And I sure hope you are all right that Clark will get a spot on the ticket; I think he will drag down whoever is at the top. When will you guys learn that the fact that someone fought doesn't automatically make him right on national security measures. Kerry's problems were not that the uniform was in the attic, but that he wasn't credible, and of course that he's a putz.

4. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Romney is SOOO wishy-washy it is painful to watch. That being said, the dude is very successful & knows how to make business happen. He is a good manager, but what does he stand for?

In any event, it doesn't matter as I told all of you long ago it is all Hilary & Rudy G. The only Q is who are they running with.

JDV

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm glad Zeke posted a link, since you forgot to.

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

FB,

What exactly makes Romney any different from Politician A or Z? They all say what they believe will help them get elected at any given time. Unless like Dennis or Gravel or Paul they say what they really feel. But in those cases I think deep down they know they are only going to get symblic votes from people that will add up to nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Heck I plan on voting for Gravel. I want to be one of those little ripples in the big pond. But he ain't gonna win shit. I know it, you know it.

So while we sit here and attack one politician for making statements that we consider untrue or disingenuos. Remember that he or she is not alone. 99.85 percent of politicians who go national whether for the presidency or congress do so with false promises and flip-flopping tactics.

I say all this because I am dissapointed in Mitt. I proudly voted for him against Ted. I proudly voted for him for govenor. I was originally excited that he was looking at running for president. But then his "new" views on the issues came out.

I won't lie, I like his changed view on abortion. Can I believe it's true?

But what really pissed me off was his new opinion on gay rights. When he ran against Ted and for gov. he was for gay rights. Not for gay marriage, but he didn't seem as critical of the lifestyle as he does today.

I can tell you with certainty I would be voting for him again if he didn't decide to go to the right. I mean is it that bad for a Republican to say it's OK to be gay and that gay marriage doesn't hurt anyone who is straight?

But at the same time, think about his time in Massachusetts. He was running for office as a Republican in one of the most liberal states nationwide. So the question is, was that the real Mitt or is this? Maybe we will never know for sure.

What I do think about him somehow sneaking into the White House though, is that all this right-sided politicing would amount to nothing major in terms of policy. I think he is simply doing most of his right-wing act to get through the primary season. I think he might actually make a decent president, only problem is because of his switching beliefs to pander to the right in hopes of gaining the vote he may have lost some large groups of moderates that would have considered him. And in the end he winds up like Gravel, Paul and Dennis.

7. Now this is the RSC that I remember. Thoughtful and fun to spar with.
    I think that there is simply no substance to the guy at all. This quote about the kids. The earlier one about how he really wanted to be in Vietnam when he was knocking on doors in France. The belligerent smoke-blowing when he gets knocked off his talking points, as happened with the Christian radio host in Iowa. And the problem is that he has to do this stuff because, if he doesn't, he won't get nominated. That's the state in which Bush et. al. have left the GOP. He really OUGHT to be able to be a Republican and say the things about gay rights that you think he should -- and, FWIW, the things I feel he really believes. But he can't, so running for that nomination makes him act like a clown.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You think he believes in things like that? I think he believes ONLY in whatever he needs to in order to be president. Without any conviction.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fenian - is there a canidate in either party that you would vote for so far?

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I don't think so. He hates everyone, even Democrats.

Maybe he should go out and find someone qualified enough to suit his taste.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I won't lie, I know the guy has some substance. He is a friend of the family, well at least through one of my aunt's father. I know when it comes to family and his belief in God he is 100 percent honest at all times. He's a good man and businessman. But when it comes to playing the roll of Republican puppet and denying gays the equality they deserve I just can't let anyone get away with that shit. Family friend or not.
    I still remember standing in line at my aunt's father's funeral when Mitt and Ann came in the door right behind me. We had a pretty good talk for the 25 or so minutes we waited about my job, my family and his.
    I like the guy. I disagree with the candidate.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't mean to pick on Guy here with this, but this seems to be something of an annoyance with me recently.

Why would you want a candidate to run knowing that they aren't suitable? Shouldn't your desire, as an American, be to pull for the best people possible? It seems more to me that you, Guy, consider yourself a Republican first and an American second.

Like I wrote earlier, I'm not meaning to pick on Guy here but he is the one that wrote it.

Draft saved Draft deleted