1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mitchie's Dreams Deferred

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's bbbaaaacccckkkkkk!!!

Mitch Albom's Dreams Deferred (as the Freep says, A Holiday Tradition).

Mitch Albom's Dream Deferred

Slappy to the white courtesy phone. Slappy, please take the call on the white courtesy phone.

2. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Slappy is unavailable at this time. Please leave a message.

And I'm sure it's all the same ... black innercity kid shot and football/basketball dream comes to an end. And of course, it isn't his fault. He's a good boy.

Read it before. Blah, blah, blah

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"And next month, the two soldiers who sat side by side on a plane to Iraq will be side by side again, opening a pizza store together."

Hate to make light of a soldier's story, but those lines sound awfully familiar.

And you have to like the first comment that rips on Mitch's scab history.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Read that this morning, started to start the topic, then backed off.
    My questions are: 1) will there it be "dreams" or "dream" this year and 2) if it is plural, will it be someone from the Detroit area or will he find someone national, when there are others in his backyard. Since he is a national guy, the days are long gone where he just used to steal prep stories from Mick McCabe and embellish their plight...

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A foo-foo fluff piece for the Ilitch empire by the Mighty Mitch Himself. The full-court PR press for New Olympia, which will need $300-$400 million in taxpayer money (in addition to the $400 million he's already gotten for Comerica Park), is officially on. Money Talks.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mitch Albom? Fellate an owner or someone in power locally? You take that back!

7. What happens to a dream deferred?
    Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun?
    If it's lucky, then Mitch won't write about it.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Move along . . . nothing new to see, here . . .

Unfortunately . . .

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Something in the Reilly column (and for that matter, so did my alluding to Christine Brennan as a one-trick pony -- pot, meet kettle; kettle, meet slappy) made me think of it...

The Dwarf's annual holiday pap was singular this year. Only one dream was deferred....

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm just as eager to pile on Mitch as anyone, but I don't see the big problem with him swooping in on a big prep story. Like it or not, he's the star. And if there's a great story to tell, it would make sense to let him take it and run with it.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled Mitch-bashing.

Draft saved Draft deleted