1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mitchell Report Thread (Nothing to see here! Drugs are bad. Crisis averted!)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, but we'd be spared Jon Sterling . . . priceless recompense.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, but like cockroaches, Sterling will survive.

3. SigR

SigR Member

I think the best solution to the problem is to go back and test some blood from Cal Ripken during his mid to late career. If we can't find any vials of blood that are his, a time machine might be necessary. If Ripken was doping, we cancel baseball and adopt soccer as the national pasttime.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Tom, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I really am curious. Other than uphold the suspensions, which baseball should have done, what else should happen?

I don't like the idea of investigating all this cheating and then letting it go, either. But what is the alternative?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that was my point. they should have upheld the suspensions.

"we're going to get tough on drugs/PEDs, but first we're going to let these guys we did catch off the hook."

yeah, mlb's really throwing down.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You, you, you... Red Sox fan. :)

7. outofplace

On that, I agree. But as usual, the player's union has to get something out of every concession rather than working with the owners to do everything possible to get the drugs out of the game.

In other words, I think that was as much the fault of the MLBPA as Selig or the owners.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The alternative was to not waste time, money, and newspaper ink on this whole Mitchell Report garbage. You can't implement a drug-testing program without this whole joke of a report in the first place?

There's nothing -- NOTHING -- gained from the Mitchell Report at all. If it never existed, baseball still could have implemented a drug-testing program. Now, thanks to this colossal waste of time, most people are just sick of hearing about this stuff.

9. outofplace

No, people aren't all sick of it or it would have gone away by now.

You may be sick of it. I'm definitely sick of it. And I find the Mitchell Report to be an absolute joke. It lacks credibility and made accusations based on extremely thin evidence.

But we're here. The report is done. Now what?

Draft saved Draft deleted