1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mitchell, Conte and Canseco tonight on Nightline

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Dec 13, 2007.

1. creamora

creamora Member

Ragu,

Could you recommend one for me? That would be really great. Thanks, dude.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sure. But I'm not a pharmacist or a drug expert or anything. So I'll randomly throw out a suggestion of a good mix of zinc and magnesium (I want to keep it all legal, of course). Maybe that stuff can have some kind of effect on brain functioning that would be of benefit.

3. creamora

creamora Member

Ragu,

I just realized that maybe I should be using some of what your on. Care to share? Although, you would probably like to keep your competitive edge.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh the fucking irony.

5. The Big Ragu

I'm not on anything... well, except Clomid. Sadly, I still can't seem to ovulate. Think that would help you?

6. creamora

creamora Member

Ragu,

So you are trying to get pregnant? Best wishes. Hope its a girl.

7. creamora

creamora Member

MLB taking its cues from Conte
    ABC News

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/sports&id=5834279

Maybe the MLB should be listening to the outofplace, Mr. Petty and Big Ragu instead. They certainly seem to have all of the answers to all of the questions. Collectively, they seem to make quite a brain trust. Maybe it's all the insider information in their possession.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I like how Conte suddenly became pro-testing after his conviction. Anything to stay in the spotlight, huh?

9. The Big Ragu

Conte has every reason to be "pro testing." The cat is out of the bag on this stuff. At this point, his agenda is to make everyone (and he's right, actually) see that he was just one guy supplying steroids to a bunch of athletes. He was not the guy pumping ALL of the drugs into sports. There were others. Conte might have been the dealer to some attention-getting names, but in scope, a guy like Radmomski seems to have had farther reach. And then you have to imagine the suppliers the Feds haven't caught and the guys they have been supplying. Of course we can't know how big or little Conte was, because Conte, unlike Radomski seems to have under plea bargain pressure from the Feds, will never be truthful.

Still, with each name of each new supplier, each new guy caught, and eventually other undetectable steroids and masking agents coming to light, Conte probably feels like it "excuses" him a bit and somehow clears his name. So he is pro testing and pro making a big deal out of this--even overstating the extent of use, if possible. It's understandable to me. I always saw him as just one guy -- the guy who happened to get nailed because the track & field landscape combined with his personality made for a volatile mix in which it was probably inevitable that someone with a bone to pick was going to drop a syringe with some droplets of his stuff into the mail to the authorities. But others simplistically saw him as THE problem. He became the poster child, because he was the first one dumb enough to get caught with a stable of known athletes attached to him. So now he seems to be on a mission to tell the world that it wasn't just him and the problem is pervasive (He's right about both of those things), as a way of clearing his name (it doesn't, but I understand why he is doing it), and of course use the small window of attention he can milk out of things like the Mitchell Report to his benefit to try to sell shit (presumably just legal shit at this point). He's a used car salesman at heart.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

at least ragu and myself were smart enough not to have a need to buy stock in soap on a rope. talk about a slippery slope.

11. creamora

creamora Member

The barbarians attack again. This place can be brutal.
    Seems that Conte may just continue to expose the loopholes in the MLB testing program and force them to make appropriate changes. Wonder if there will be some of Conte's suggestions to MLB restated by Congressional Committee members? Nah. There probably already consulting with Ragu, who is a world renowned expert in this area.

Draft saved Draft deleted