1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mitch Albom's new book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I've never read any of Albom's books. Hence, I know nothing about them aside from what I've heard others say, and from what I've read on this board.

The following question isn't meant to be snide or smartass or anything like that. Just a question.

Keeping in mind that I haven't read any of his books, as long as he doesn't slander said dead people (well, technically, libel them), what's the big deal? Maybe it's more fiction than some other books. But what book authors, other than those of perhaps a textbook or the like, don't take some artistic liberty in describing things and people and events or recalling conversations? From what I've heard, people got a lot out of Tuesdays with Morrie, and this book sounds like it's of similar ilk.

People are entertained by them. People feel good reading them. Is he really doing the world that great a disservice?

Maybe the issue here is more about his journalistic integrity, and maybe that's all we're bashing here. But the books must be pretty well-written. They must be pretty, I dunno, good. So is all the fuss simply over his credibility or the quality of work?

Just curious. Dude's successful. I'd like to have similar success one day.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I can make people feel good by making up stuff as well. It's called fiction. If any of his non-fiction books were pitched as fiction, they wouldn't be in stores.

And yes, he is doing the world a disservice if he passes off fabricated events as real. Sort of like Madoff. What's the big deal? All he did was make people feel good.

3. Story about Mitch's book is currently the lead story on freep.com.

The lede of the story is something to the effect of "This is more than just another book launch."

Lead story ... in a news spot. ... Are you kidding me? One of the more egregious examples of shameless self-promotion I've seen lately.

Where's that picture of the pumpkin vomiting?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

JESUS! Did I really need the blue font?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You need no pumpkin . You have... ME

[​IMG]

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"crickets"

Of course. That train's never late.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Da crickets? They STILL be chirpin'.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

To be fair, DC isn't on here as often as some of the rest of us. I don't know if he's logged in since, or even if he'll ever reply. But he's definitely not one of us who spends 23 hours a day on here.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Understood.

But this kind of thing, you can't get all highhanded and hit and run. He doesn't get Prince of the City status from me on this one. Just blithely ignoring Mitch's offenses doesn't cut it.

10. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Ha. Sorry. Guess so. My bad?

Draft saved Draft deleted