1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mistakes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Feb 11, 2008.

1. How do you make that mistake? I could see "fuk," because it's just one letter off, but it's hard to imagine doing that without it being intentionally or some really screwed up Freudian slip.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

In our sports briefs section I once included a request by a local school looking for a clock operator for basketball games, only I mispelled clock by leaving out a crucial letter.
    Thing is, NO ONE — (excuse the improper placement or words, but it shows the levels of missed opportunities to correct the mistake) me, the editor, another proofreader, the layout person or even the readers — caught on until several issues had passed.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Perhaps he'd just gotten fuked.

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Under the headline "Inexperience faces Green Wave soccer" in 2/21/97 Gallatin News Examiner story:

12th graf - "Dixon sucks donkey dicks and doesn't wipe the shit off before practice. We like to keep him at the sweeper position so his sperm breath will stop people from penetrating to the goal. Speaking of penetrating, he prefers tall, red-headed guys. Told me to tell Kris he said "hello."

What's the big deal?

5. Ok, we all know it's horrendously stupid to put joke text into copy, but if you were going to do it, why would you do it in the 12th paragraph? Wouldn't you at least do something bolded, italicized, enlarged, colored, etc., near the top so it couldn't possibly be missed?
    I mean, there are varying levels of stupid. That is a pretty bad one.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would have said "now that's just fuked up."

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

These are all incredibly immature - and most don't make sense - but I'm dying of laughter over here.

Especially the quote. Terrible, but hilarious.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

If you include advertising, how 'bout this gem that slipped through a couple years ago at my current shop:

VANS & TRUCKS
    '03 Chrysler T&C LX's
    '02 Dodge Gr. Caravan Sports
    [picture of van]
    [pic . . . . . . . .]
    [pic . . . . . . . .]
    [pic . . . . . . . .]
    Tony Martins takes it up the ass all
    night long from "Judas Elstens
    afterwards, John and his bitch Antonio"
    F
    R $13,495
    O
    M

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I question the timing of this thread. My birthday isn't for four months yet.

10. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Is the Gallatin paper still Gannett or did it get quickly sold after the lawsuit?

11. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

This thread reminds me exactly why I am scared to use anything but Lorem Ipsum for filler text.

12. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I dunno if you'd call it a mistake, but once on my way out the door of a job where I got screwed royally in a department transfer and decided to quit, I stuck a notice in something called the "Doers and Watchers" sports calendar for shits and giggles and called it the "Exotic Hunting Club: Hunt for lions, tigers, antelopes, brahma bulls, stampeding elephants and jackals in the wild woods of XXXX County. Bring your elephant gun."

A couple of weeks later I got a call from the cops reporter who was a friend of mine and he was dying on the floor laughing. It made it in and the sports team leader was very red-faced. Dumb bastard and his crack desk staff didn't even look at it, let alone spellcheck it.

I've never done that again. Never will. One of those things you do once.

Draft saved Draft deleted