1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mistakes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

wrong dateline

NFL road game

absentmindedly datelined it as a home game

it ran

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I had that a kid shit, instead of hit, back-to-back buckets once.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

deion sanders had a bulging DICK in his back several years ago in a small north texas cnhi daily.

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Not mine, thank God, but the February 21, 1997, Sports section of the Gallatin (Tenn.) News Examiner is in a class by itself.

That mistake only cost the owners $800,000 after the courts got through hearing the case.

There's a copy of it on my desk somewhere. Right next to the "Swallows-Cox" wedding announcement that Leno wouldn't run, though someone on his staff wrote back that they wish they could.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It doesn't say what was said, but here's the AP report on the closing of the case.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Re: Galatin, for those like myself who had no clue...

http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jun/1/127184.html

7. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Aren't these Internets great?

I'll post the actual article later if I get time.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The Cliff's Note version, sans details (I do seem to recall the phrase "goat fucker" being included):

A statement inserted in the dummy copy of a small-town newspaper in Tennessee resulted in major liability for that paper. In 1997, the Gallatin News Examiner, a tri-weekly paper, ran an article about a local high school soccer player named Garrett "Bubba" Dixon, Jr. In an early draft of the article the reporter, Nick DeLeonibus, inserted quotes attributed to the high school soccer coach charging Dixon, in extremely explicit language that would otherwise have been unfit for publication, of bestiality and unsanitary habits. This was an ongoing joke between reporter DeLeonibus and his editor in which such quotes would be inserted into the article by the reporter to see if the editor caught on. The joke bombed. The editor missed the quotes in this edition, the quotes remained in the final product, and both the soccer player and coach sued. Despite the newspaper's arguments that the statements could not be understood as statements of fact, a Tennessee jury awarded the player, Dixon, $550,000 in compensatory and $300,000 in punitive damages against the News Examiner. The coach received $150,000 in compensatory damages from the paper.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I hate it when that happens.

10. sportswriter99

sportswriter99 New Member

A couple classics from the St. Augustine Record.
    In a cut line, Tiger Woods was 10 shits back instead of 10 shots.
    In a 100-year anniversary story about the paper, they dropped the l in a headline that was supposed to read, 100 years of public service.

11. I remember when that happened our ASE printed out the story as an example to never, never write joke copy in a story assuming someone is going to catch it.

Can you imagine the punch in the stomach the reporter must have felt the next morning? Man.

12. sportswriter99

sportswriter99 New Member

I read the original print version of the Gallatin story, lots of talk about the kid being a goat f--er and having [genital] breath. Incredibly poor judgment.

Draft saved Draft deleted