1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mistakes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Feb 11, 2008.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Maybe someone started a threat about this before, but I'm not about to search the archives to see if this is a repeat thread.

What is the weirdest or most bizarre mistake that you've personally seen make it to print. I've got a couple of examples:

1) This made the front of the sports section in the left rail. I've decided to remove the names:
    "XXX, a former XXX standout, set XXX's single-season block record with six blacks in a win ..."

2) This was buried in a jump but probably even better. In a quote by a female basketball player about her speed, the reporter left out the very important preposition "past." The quote: "I blow people."

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

In a student newspaper piece that was giving the biographical information about Student Governance Board members at my community college:

"Below is the biological information about the candidates."

One year, courtesy of an editor who refused to listen to the rest of her staff, the same paper ran a huge headline with the name Jessie Jackson for the founder of the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Best I've seen is the use of "DUMMY" for a nameline on George Bush. The older one.

4. I'm sure someone will post it, but there has been a scan put on here of a cutline that includes "Some Fucker."

5. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I think story has been shared on here by a former classmate, but I'll tell it again.
    When I worked for my school paper, a kid was studying abroad in Cuba and emailed in a column. He'd put the column into the body of the email, and above it wrote something to the effect of "here's the column, PEACE OUT BITCHES"...

The person paginating that day simply copied and pasted the entire body of the email into the quark page, leaving PEACE OUT BITCHES for the world to see in the paper the next day.

Boy, was our professor pissed.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Close to 30 years ago, our paper reported "Bishop holds cookout at church bazaar"...except replaced one of the o's in cookout with a c. You can probably guess which 'o' I'm talking about.

We've also forgotten the 'l' in public, but I'm guessing we weren't the first, nor are we the last.

Other ones I've seen...'It's deva ju all over again'...'Suicide bomber strikes again'...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I once worked with a guy who spelled shiite with one i

8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I put Birth Notices under a Death Notices heading.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Holy suni!

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

One of our weeklies, talking about a homecoming king, had a reference to the royal sphincter.

We laughed for weeks, both in hilarity and relief.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I think mispelling "memento" on the front page (A1, which sports copy editors rarely did) of a top 20 metro daily has to qualify.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can't remember what paper it was, I think it might have been The Times of London, but I saw a clipping from it in a magazine I get from England.

The headline for the story was "Headline for xxxx story goes here, cheers".

Draft saved Draft deleted