1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mistake

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 0-fer, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Wrote a soccer gamer this season between two big rivals. Catholic High Kickers, who have been the best team in the area for the better part of a decade, had not lost to Medium City High since 1994. MCH beat CHK 1-0 this game. I talked to a couple MCH kids, talked to a CHK kids and both coaches. Wrote the story and MCH's players' quotes were better than coach's.

Couple days later, I run into MCH coach. He says he was in Podunk, the town over, earlier that day and someone asked him how he could be the winning coach and not be quoted when it has been that long since MHC beat CHK (it should be noted that coach has only been at MCH for a few season). Coach wasn't complaining, though I could tell he wanted to, but I told him I didn't quote him because his players had good stuff to say. Coach did mention he responded to the Podunk resident, "Did ya ever think he quoted the other coach because it's harder for him to explain why he lost than it is for me to explain why we won?" I don't know about that, but it was enough for Podunk resident.

2. Rambler

Rambler Member

Actually, I said don't quote the coach. It's fine to talk to him for information purposes.
    I believe newspapers shouldn't give up on getting kids to read newspapers or the end really is near. One way to get kids to read the paper is to write about and quote kids. Or you can keep writing about 40-year-old gym teachers being in pissing matches and see how many people read or care.

3. Just give him a sincere apology because you should have talked with him. Like someone else said, stick it somewhere in the notes and put it behind you. We've all been through this once. Just learn the lesson and make sure it only ever happens once.

Otherwise, don't sweat it.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If the coach has a good quote, you quote him. Don't be an idiot.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

High school kids didn't read the paper before -- and any who did probably didn't buy it -- so I don't see how them not reading it now is a sign that the end is near, but whatever.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, they aren't going to read the paper because their lineman buddy was interviewed and might say "We played hard."

7. No matter what I'm covering, I try to interview a broad spectrum of players/coaches from both teams. That said, experience has shown me that the losing coach usually has better quotes (unless he's a complete jerk) than the winning coach. With players, I go to the players who I've found from past experience can best break down the game for me.

And I don't need the usual drivel about "my line doing a great job, he's a great player, he did a great job, etc." Tell me why the sweep or the trap worked, or who made it work.

8. Rambler

Rambler Member

Okay, Some Guy...I'll keep being an idiot and you keep being a small-timer who runs coach quotes and wonders why he's still stuck in Podunkville.

9. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

difference being, in the small time people want to hear what the coaches have to say, not some snot-nosed kid ... in the bigger time when the athletes are a little more mature and have a better grasp of the games they play people want to read their insights, as always there are exceptions on both sides

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So, wait: Now anyone who quotes a coach is a small timer who'll spend their entire career in Podunkville?

I'm trying really hard to figure out your thought process here, Rambler, and I'm just not coming up with it. Can you enlighten me as to your general line of thinking regarding quoting coaches above and beyond what you've already posted?

11. Why not quote both? Duhr.

Grab both coaches, a statistical leading/influential player, and go with it. Coaches give you the x's and o's and a little more analysis and tend to be a tad more eloquent than players. Players, on the other hand, give you the more emotional stuff (if you can get more than the "We just played hard as a team and came out on top" answer for every. single. question.)

Also, kids are more open about things that the coach might not want to talk about...like suspensions, questionable calls, trash-talking, etc. Just be careful in what you choose to run. I got a quote that a kid was suspended for being late of practice, turns out he was suspended for being late to class. Took a preemptive call to the kid's mom to get that one straightened out before it blew up.

12. Rambler

Rambler Member

No, Zeke. Just the one's who call me an idiot.

I'll try to explain my thoughts (even though I'm an idiot--I guess being an Associate Sports Editor at a Top 10 circulation newspaper makes me one).

I believe high school coverage should be geared toward high school students. Most of us realize newspapers have lost nearly an entire generation to the Internet, etc. But not all kids are lost and we should be going after them and I just don't think a kid wants to hear an adult voice in the paper when they can read about their peers and see pictures of them. That's what draws them in.
    What audience does a coach quote reach? Other coaches. Possibly some adults who drink with the coach.
    These are high school gamers and/or features and they should stay simple and use kids' voices and photos.
    Does it make for the greatest 10-inch game story on Podunkville's 42-6 victory over Whocaresville? Possibly not (although I've rarely run into a coach who doesn't just spew cliches) but it does serve a purpose in getting kids to read the paper. Which must remain one of our goals if we all want jobs in the next 20 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted