1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missy Franklin Olympian/bully?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Outstanding!

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

good

3. turski7

turski7 Member

How about when Darnell McDonald, the No. 1 football and baseball prospect in the country, called Creek home in the mid 90s? I don't think they had a problem with McDonald destroying the competition in the name of Creek.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As Roscablo noted, the fact this whine-fest is coming from super-entitled Cherry Creek -- the most successful all-around athletic program in the state -- is funny as hell.

There was a story last week about Franklin's first meet, against Highlands Ranch. And all of those kids and the Highlands Ranch coach were fine with it. They all took pictures of her swimming, and Missy stayed after the meet and took photos with all of the kids and parents -- and turned down zero requests.

Missy Franklin is genuine and down to earth and gracious and a role model. And anyone bitching that she's swimming for her high school team not to collect Colorado state championship medals but to swim with her friends/classmates and those she has trained with since she was younger in club swimming doesn't get it.

Shut up and swim.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Swim parents whining? Color me shocked.

Looks like most of the current high school swimmers (not the "I was No. 2 in the state" girl now at U of Arizona) are cool with swimming against an Olympian. And why not? Swim your best time and have a picture taken with Missy afterward.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And one of the first comments on the WSJ article blames Obama.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Amazing what some people will find to complain about.

Wonder if Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees played high school football? Was that unfair to the poor saps who had to play defense against a future NFL star?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In New Orleans they were just hoping to draw Peyton's team in the playoffs.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I suppose next, the swim parents will complain when their little darlings have to compete against a boy.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Uh, a bit different. Did you never take a biology class?

You should drop this particular point lest you actually make swim parents come off as sympathetic.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If you don't like getting beat by Missy Franklin, get better so you can beat her.

If you can't, well, tough shit.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's biology, and then there's equal rights.

Girl competes against boys and wins, it's considered great. Boy competes against girls and wins, and it's unfair. Not very equal.

Draft saved Draft deleted