1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missy Franklin Olympian/bully?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Thought I posted this earlier but couldn't find it, anyway ...
    Olympian swimmer Missy Franklin, who cleaned house at the games, decided to retain her amateur status and has been spending the winter swimming in high school meets crushing 14-year-old kids.

Not everyone is thrilled by the her choice to return to high school and dominate the local pool. Obviously, some swim parents are upset. ::)

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424127887324235104578241961511333962.html?mod=WSJ_hp_editorsPicks_3

2. Why couldn't she have gone the Suzy Hamilton route?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tough crap, whiners.

Maybe you can move somewhere where the world is fair and your darling is the best swimmer.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Because she's 17? Pervert.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Stu Woo. Sweet name.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Some parents and high school kids need to shot-gun a tall glass of STFU.

7. I'm inclined to go this route. Nothing wrong with what she has done. She attends school there. She is better than the other kids. Probably was before she got better training to prep for the olympics. Deal with it.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm guessing many of the whining swimmers from Cherry Creek have had races where they've been that far in front of some, if not all, of their competition. It's no fun when someone who isn't your own size picks on you? Guess what: That's what's called a valuable life lesson.

I'm not usually one to generalize, but this smacks of a bunch of spoiled princesses whose bitterest taste of adversity so far is Dad buying them last year's Lexus for their 16th birthday.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I was an average high school soccer player and played for an average club team. My senior year, during club season, we made it to a good tournament's championship game. The other team had a kid named Scott Vermillion, who was one of the nation's top youth players. He later played for the Olympic team, MLS and I think played a few games for the national team. All I thought was how frickin' awesome it was to play against a kid of that caliber, even though I had no business being on the same field as he.

If I'm a high school swimmer, I'd think it's cool as fuck to race against an Olympic gold medalist.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Rasslin' is different, because you can't run and hide. Well, you could, but you'd probably give up a crapload of delay points.

12. Yeah, wrestling, I could that see being the least fun of all sport competitions pitting Joe Average against an Olympian.

I am picturing you in that old joke about the guy escaping the inescapable hold by biting the pro wrestler's balls.

Draft saved Draft deleted