1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missouri wonks: School of Journalism revamps its curriculum

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 27, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You must skip most (all?) threads that don't have to do with soccer . . . .

Can't blame a school for trying to set itself apart. Before, a student could major in broadcast with an emphasis in Investigative Reporting. Now, they major in Investigative Reporting with an emphasis in broadcast. They basically took the secondary parts of the various majors and pushed them to the forefront. Then added a few more.

I'm not sure this is any "dumber!" than Indiana offering a Sports Journalism master's. Schools are just trying to make themselves stand out, often by filling a niche. With all the bellyaching we do here about the death of the business, we can't be shocked that the schools are at least attempting to do something to remain relevant.

2. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I don't understand how picking such a narrow concentration, in the current climate of this ultra-competitive job market, puts your resume at the top. I've always been taught that the more versatile you are, the more attractive a candidate you are.

Draft saved Draft deleted