1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missouri wonks: School of Journalism revamps its curriculum

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 27, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Unless "revamps" means "eliminates," I remain sorely disappointed.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

There are so many more jobs in "arts & culture" than in sports, right?
    Just another example of academia thumbing its nose at our corner of the world.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Note to anyone entering college: Don't major in journalism.

That is all...

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You know how you can pick out the Mizzou journalism grads in every crowd?

They're the ones who will walk up to you and, within the first 30 seconds of the conversation, tell you they went to Mizzou.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

We had ag journalism and ag econ majors at my university. They were both bundled with the College of Agriculture (but, obviously, they had a lot of crossover into A&S). In the Midwest, there are a lot of people who can do a lot with an ag journo major. One of my friends majored in that and has been doing communications for different companies doing drilling. She just got back from Antarctica.

Having an ag journalism major at say, NYU, might not make much sense but for those who are going to be reporting about farming for the rest of their lives, it's actually incredibly practical.

6. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

I was mostly exaggerating. Like I said, I am kind of jealous of the depth and breadth of classes one can take at schools with a real journalism major. Sometimes the specialized classes and such seem like a little much since I'm of the opinion that you don't need to be a journalism "major" or even study it in-depth to be a good journalist. But of course I can't really say that and then try and defend the class I took on the Canterbury Tales.

I will also say that I'm not really trying to knock agricultural studies. I'm from the Midwest so I realize how important it is. I'm also a Michigan State fan (but didn't go there)... I knew a guy who went there who majored in soil science. He makes lots of money.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Two-ply is better, though, because it's one better.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

To quote one of the attendees at an alumni dinner for Indiana J-school grads, "I don't consider sportswriters to be journalists."

Of the (at the time) six active/retired journalists in the room, four of us were sportswriters. The person making the accusation ... was out of the business.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

An astonishing level of braindead douchery, that.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

He obviously didn't speak for Indiana's School of Journalism. Or maybe he did, and they just changed their minds since then.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/74918/

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

some sports media are journalists. some aren't.
    bob ryan - no.
    tom farrey - yes.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Have read some stupid things on this board over the years.
    I think this one is champ.

Draft saved Draft deleted