1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missoulian sports columnist/reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Cutthroats, May 4, 2007.

1. Cutthroats

Cutthroats New Member

Sports columnist/reporter. The Missoulian (Missoula, Montana), a 34,000 daily in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, is seeking a columnist to replace this year’s APSE national winner. Besides pro-ducing one column a week, duties include covering the University of Montana women’s basketball team, the perennial Division I-AA power Montana football team, and helping out with local high school sports. The successful applicant must have a minimum of five years writing experience at a daily newspaper as well as a proven track record of writing strong columns of local content. To begin the application process, go to Missoulian.com and scroll down to the listing “Our job opportunities.” Send work samples and a resume (a minimum of five columns) to sports editor Bob Meseroll, PO Box 8029, Missoula, MT, 59807. Deadline for applications is May 31.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is Rial Cummings leaving?

3. Cutthroats

Cutthroats New Member

Yes, unfortunately, he is.
    Bob Meseroll

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well then let me say that whomever gets this job has some mighty large shoes to fill. Rial is one of the best mid-sized daily columnists in the country. Where is he headed, Bob?

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

"I guess it all blew up in Missoula
    There was nothing left to say.
    After months of going crazy
    There just was no other way."
    - Jimmy Buffett "Miss You So Badly."

I lived in Missoula for a brief period a long time ago. I was young, carefree and didn't need much to have fun and be happy and it was an absolutely wonderful place to be young. I've lived in a lot of places and it's still one of the most beautiful towns I've ever spent time in. I've always wanted to go back and spend more time there.

What's it like now? What kind of paper is the Missoulian. I have no idea so my opinion is meaningless.
    But ... it seem like a person could do a whole lot worse than working for the Missoulian and living in Missoula.
    It's at least something to check out. If I was younger and single, I'd beg for a chance to interview.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Rial is a great guy, and I wish him all the luck in the world.

Feel free to PM me with questions on this one.

Bob's good people, and the paper's really good for it's size. It's growing, the area's growing and Montana freaking rules (as you all know).

7. Cutthroats

Cutthroats New Member

He's headed to the Seattle area to try his hand at freelance writing. So if anyone has a need ...

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

This one gets the overwhelming stamp of approval from Idaho. Heck, if you're a guy at a bigger paper and just want a great job in a great town, this is an awesome place to land.

Only downsides are the eight months of winter and annual trips to Pocatello.

9. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

what would this job pay?

10. Trucha

Trucha Member

I'll second that about Rial and Bob being fine folks, the Missoulian as an excellent mid-sized sports section, and Missoula as a dandy place to live. And Idaho, you obviously haven't been there since Dubya-induced global warming. ;)

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Missoula's still a cold place in the winter. Nice in the summer..though. Nothing beats floating down the Bitterroot in the day, grabbing a cold beer at Charlie B's at night.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Charlie B's sucks. Most overrated joint in Missoula. Stockman's is totally the way to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted