1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Sep 30, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but most of the hard-cores would love "The South will Rise Again" to mean it's a separate country, and has defeated the Yankee scourge. Don't tell me the playing of Dixie in conjunction with waving the stars and bars doesn't mean anything but a return to the pre-Civil War, Antebellum days, where the cotton was white and the hands picking it were black.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Let's get George Allen's opinion.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There are very few down here who would want to be a separate country. And they're probably matched in number by the Yankee elitists who think the USA would be better off without the South since it's full of nothing but inbred, uneducated, backwoods hillbillies.

I'm not defending the way Ole Miss (or anybody else) uses the song. I'm defending the song itself. As I said, it's been tarnished.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm quite impressed. It took almost two whole pages for someone to bring up Mississippi's use of the confederate flag. That, my friends, is progress.

It's also a little ironic that it's Ole Miss using the stars and bars. The school is pretty much the rich, snobby kids -- the kind that dress in khakis, shirts and ties, and nice dresses for a freaking football game -- and not the inbred, overall-wearing hicks one usually associates with Mississippi.

5. Drock

Drock Member

I don't think most people associate "inbred, overall-wearing hicks" with Mississippi. That's a description more fitting for stereotypical views of Appalachia.

And from what I've seen, Ole Miss' student body is little different from any public school in the Southeast.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, to be honest, I did see an overall-wearing inbred hick at a gas station in Fayetteville, Ark., once. Dude just had a mean stupid in his eyes. The kind of stupid that knows he's a little slow and has a chip on his shoulder about it. I did my best not to cross him.
    As for Ole Miss, there's most definitely a different vibe there. It's like one giant frat.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I know this, Mississippi has been mired near the bottom in average SAT scores for just about all of my adult life. If you have kids, I'd strongly suggest finding a way to send your kids to private schools.

RE Dixie ... Well, this is the same argument we have about Islam and terrorism. Those who viewed it as their heritage before the KKK got a hold of it stood by and let it happen. It is now undeniable what its connotation is, whether the songwriter intended it that way or not. BTW, Georgia Tech's band played a few prominent bars from Dixie (the, "O, I wish I was in the land of cotton" part) in one of its grandstand songs.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

actually I see the overall - wearing Baseball cap slung look in metro NY by suburban kids. It appears like they have traded clothes with kids from Ole Miss.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

There's a much higher percentage of lovely young ladies in the Ole Miss student body than in any other public university in the South (or maybe anywhere). I'm an LSU partisan and I gotta give 'em that.

10. Drock

Drock Member

True.

11. tyler --
    Maybe, but Jackson ain't B-Rouge. Not on Friday night. Not by a long shot.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's extremely rare that a Confederate flag is seen around Oxford these days. Unless its a sticker on a kid's truck. No flags in the Grove. No flags on campus. No flags in the stadium.

Draft saved Draft deleted