1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi State beat writers vs Louisiana-Lafayette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 6, 2014.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Complaining about having to sit at a table in the bleachers is weak.

Downtalking their people and culture? Should'a been fired. That shows a lack of class, tact and judgment.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, the SEC once tried to ban writers from tweeting live action in college baseball. The only thing dumber than tweeting about college baseball is trying to stop someone from getting ANYTHING about college baseball out in the public domain.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Tweeting is fun as hell when you're doing it right and if you're covering college/pros when you don't have any stats to keep, there's really no excuse for not being able to do it and do it well.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Stevens just tweeted out that he was fired:

https://twitter.com/matthewcstevens/status/476042965069340673

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Sorry to read that. I didn't think it was a firing offense but perhaps he had previous disciplinary issues. Hard lesson learned.

Anyone know if Slim Smith is still at the Dispatch?

6. Steak Snabler

As far as I know he's still managing editor there.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Damn, that does suck. I didn't see it as being worth a firing, either, maybe a week or 2 suspension. He didn't even say the worst stuff. I found the radio guy's comments much more offensive.

And yes, lesson learned in this case. But I'm sure we'll have something similar come down the road in another few months, with someone saying something stupid and unnecessary, apologizing and then getting fired, and it will be a lesson learned in that case, too.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My opinion is going to be colored by the fact that I know him and like him, but that seems a bit harsh. It seemed like ordinary sports radio trash talk.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, that's a pretty lame reason for firing someone, although I certainly don't know any of the background stuff that may have led up to it. I've blasted a few people, and towns, through the years. Some people just have a real thin skin.

I still maintain the whole Twitter bit causes more harm than good because people just fly off at the handle like they would sitting at a bar and don't think about what they are writing.

10. Steak Snabler

I will say I don't think he should have been fired, but slamming an entire ethnic group is dangerous territory.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Agree on both. The firing couldn't have been a complete surprise, when you go on the radio and call someplace the worst place in America and say what he said about the people there - all because of challenging press accommodations at a baseball game.

I wonder if anything will happen to the radio co-host who called people in Lafayette less than people and the missing link between apes and humans.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'll say both sides share some blame. Probably not the best idea to be ripping entire communities over something caused by a small number of people. OTOH, people are too sensitive. People complaining about other people has been going on forever. If someone says something you don't like, shake it off like water off a duck's back. What the hell difference does their opinion make anyway?

I've been criticized and ripped countless times. If I wasted time monning and protesting over all of that, it would be pointless. Ignore it, keep calm and carry on. At worst, tell the critic to go back to whatever Mississippi hell hole they came from. The very thought of someone from Mississippi whining about some other place is strangely funny. Those guys ought to be celebrating the chance to escape from oblivion every few days.

Draft saved Draft deleted