1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi State beat writers vs Louisiana-Lafayette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 6, 2014.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't follow by Twitter, but I am one of the geeks who sits by the computer and watches the PxP online. Gametracker or something like that. Since I'm out of the country with a slow connection, that's the best I can do.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is absolutely true.

Still, I question not only the judgment but the sanity of someone who thinks that anywhere containing this place could be the worst place on Earth.

[​IMG]

(Though I guess Don's is technically in Scott, 5 miles away from Lafayette).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. It's a Sun Belt school, which is far from big-time college athletics.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Exactly. On one hand, people complain that the NCAA favors the bigger schools in determining sites and such. Then when they give a smaller school a regional, people complain about that.

I think, we, sports media people as a group, tend to be somewhat spoiled as a group. We get paid to go to sporting events, often sit in the best seats, get free food and beverage and then have the nerve to complain about the food (in between the perpetual whines about being underpaid)? Maybe a reality check is in order.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I love when pro and college reporters bitch about conditions.
    You had to go outside in the rain? Bring an umbrella and rain gear and stop being a pussy. Put your phone in a ziploc bag and do all your unnecessary, boring in-game tweeting that brings nothing to the product. When you have to write, go to your car and get it done. If there's no internet, go to a McDonald's.
    I've covered games in horrendous professional environments. You make due and while having beers with colleagues, do all your bitching then.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Why can't he spell his name correctly? ;)
    Don't know how many people here have been to The Pit in Albuquerque, but it can get pretty bad, too (not this bad). There's plenty of room, but press is row is located behind a couple of rows of dedicated fans who stand the entire game. Hard to see a lot of the action. Home media has to deal with it, too.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Matt, I've got to admit, I thought you'd changed jobs. ;)

Rhody, the tone of that would suggest that you think the writers are tweeting out of their own enthusiasm for the task. They're being directed to do that by the social-media crazed execs.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, did a college basketball game on radio from The Pit years ago. I remember our position being fairly high up, rather than courtside (which was the norm in those days). Pretty good atmosphere and it was the largest crowd (17,000+) that our school had ever played in front of.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I'm getting rained on, I'm telling the execs that I'm not tweeting. If they push it, I'll ask if they want to pay for new equipment when all mine drowns. That should solve it.

But to hammer the point again ... never bitch about your working conditions to readers. That's what this place is for!

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I covered an ACC hoops team one year and my seat was right under the trombone section of the pep band. Not always functioning spit valves and all.
    People don't care what kind of crap we have to deal with when it comes to doing the job.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Text Saturday night from a photographer friend in Lafayette: "People complaining about this facility were right."

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Even the ESPN announcers got into it, albeit light heartedly, talking about their makeshift TV stand and comparing it to a duck blind.

I see both sides. Some of these guys are used to different facilities. But if you are ULL, are you going to spend $20k for a new press box to get used for two weeks? I do suspect it will be an item of discussion at staff meetings looking forward, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted