1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi schools' tolerance on display again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100818/NEWS/8180334/District-sued-over-yearbook

Lesbian didn't want to dress like a girl for the yearbook picture, chose to wear a tux instead. So, school strikes her pic from the yearbook. HOW DARE SHE DEFY PRINCIPAL BARNEY FIFE!?!? Asshat.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Photographer didn't want to get teh gay all over his lens.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pure stupidity by the school, especially since another school just had to fork over $35 grand for the fake prom.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Concur.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Isn't this an old story?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

More like the same old story in Mississippi.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Lots of tolerance there now, amid a somewhat small group that still clings to what they learned from elders.
    Let's not write off the whole state.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I mean in the sense that this story broke last week and it really didn't receive much attention.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Of course, this can easily be avoided by not forcing kids to wear tuxes and drapes for senior portraits. That is so 1965.

All we -- and every school I've ever been familiar with in central Indiana for 20 years -- require is a collared shirt (for guys) or a nice top that covers the shoulders (for girls) that don't have writing on them.

10. When I was in high school about 10 years ago, I remember administrators going to great, great lengths leading up to prom and homecoming dances to warn all the students that any boys who showed up in women's clothes would not be allowed in. I always liked to imagine what kind of wild incident sparked them to do that.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Even back in 1985, my high school allowed seniors to submit whatever picture they wanted for the yearbook. So I'm surprised that in this town, every girl in the yearbook is wearing the same dress and every boy wears a collared shirt and tie. And there seems to be two poses for girls (straight on or look over the shoulder) and one for boys (straight on).

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Nettleton Middle School for joining the running thread of Bigoted Things Mississippi Schools Do:

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/08/27/nettleton-school-racism/

Draft saved Draft deleted