1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi HS football coach arrested in drug raid (updates with coach fired)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bizarre story ...

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20110311/NEWS/110311026/NW-Rankin-coach-Coates-among-4-arrests-drug-sweep?odyssey=tab

Nothing really I can add, except to point out that the girl's name is Mary Jane ...

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Re: Mississippi HS football coach arrested in drug raid

... and when they read her her rights, she was Mirandized squared.

3. Steak Snabler

Good one.

After further review, this has to be the father (at least temporarily) taking the fall for his son, right?

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

indeed.

drunken fail.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Guy on our staff is a NWR grad and this is pretty close to what happened. Son stashed the weed and $35,000 in cash at the father's house on his way back to Oxford, just in time for the narcs to come calling.

Looks like Coates was caught between a rock and a hard place on this, and will probably end up getting off pretty easy. The son, not so much.

6. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

He might get off easy in terms of the law. I'd be shocked if he ever coaches or works at a high school again.
    No idea what Coates is truly like as a person, or to those who know him well, but he always came across to me as a surly individual. Our local schools are in Northwest Rankin's division so we have to deal with him a couple times a year. Trying to get anything more than a string of tight-lipped cliches out of him is like trying to score on the '85 Bears. The last few times Northwest Rankin came to town I haven't even bothered talking to him after the game.

7. Steak Snabler

Being an asshole who has a fuck-up for a son has nothing to do with how good a coach and administrator he is. Notice he's only been suspended, not fired. I imagine he'll be reinstated before next football season.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Does anybody else read that sentence and think the AD & head coach are two different people?

9. Steak Snabler

Yes, it's poorly written by a news side staffer who probably doesn't know shit about high school sports. In most cases, being AD is secondary to being football coach. Most guys just do it for the extra money.

If I'm writing that story, I refer to him only as football coach in the lede, then mention that he's also AD in the second or third graph.

10. Steak Snabler

Guess there was more to it than we thought:

11. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

His daughter was also arrested last week as part of the investigation. Kind of casts some doubt on the "taking the fall for the son" theory.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's not true. The AD is the department head and in many places - except in the South where football rules - he has the final say on athletic matters. Addressing him as both the AD and football coach may appear awkward but it is correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted