1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi hoops coach arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 18, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Bad night got worse.

Guard Chris Warren hurt in last 30 seconds, may be out for season.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I know, I know. The old adage that nothing good happens after 1 a.m. But not exactly shocking, nor even damning, that adults could be out tilting a few pops on a road trip. Hell, that's the best part about road trips.

3. HejiraHenry

Yes, but.

And the "but" will have to wait a day or a week or so. This has pulled at a thread that may yet unravel in unpredictable (or, possible quite predictable) ways.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

EXACTLY what I was thinking. I mean, what kind of example are all of they setting for their student-athletes, going out drinking the night before a game? They turn around, tell their boys to be good and stay at the hotel and then they take off?

It's irresponsible and makes them look like the biggest hypocrites ever. Especially the part where the director of basketball operations was arrested for disorderly conduct and being drunk in public. These are coaches. They're supposed to be role models. Seriously, if they want to go out and have a few, they should do it back in Lafayette and not on a road trip where they're supposed to be supervising.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Amen.

Or even Oxford. Come to think of it, do they HAVE bars in Oxford? (Don't know, never been.)

6. HejiraHenry

I think there referebce there to Lafayette is to the county where Oxford is located. Yes, they have bars.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

OXFORD, Miss. – The injury-riddled 2008-09 Ole Miss basketball season continued on Friday as the team learned that sophomore point guard Chris Warren will miss the remainder of the season after a Friday morning MRI revealed a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. It also showed a minor MCL sprain, a medial meniscus tear and a lateral bone contusion.

Warren was injured on a layup attempt during the Rebels’ final offensive possession in a 77-68 loss to No. 9 Louisville in the SEC/BIG EAST Invitational Thursday night in Cincinnati. The Orlando, Fla., native scored 18 points with four assists and three steals before sitting out the final seconds of the game.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Warren's injury will gut that team, even in this season's suck-ass SEC. Two of the Rebels' best players are out now.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And seriously, not one "Colonel Reb is Crying" jokes on this thread? What is this, amateur hour?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Kennedy is suing the cab driver for defamation of character.

http://beta.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3783491

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Kennedy was accused of a hate crime and some here think that whether he should have been out late is the big issue here? Come on!

That's like telling a rape victim that she shouldn't have put herself "in that situation." It might true, but it's a little beside the point.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, meant to post that last night. The local CBS affil also talked to the arresting officer, quoted him as saying that Kennedy got into a tussle inside the bar. After the other guy was tossed, police strongly suggested AK leave and go home or they'd file charges. AK was reportedly pissy about it, was "obviously drunk and didn't respect the police" cop said. AK left, and 5 minutes later the cop got a call to go to a disturbance down the street. Got there, and sure enough, it's Kennedy.

EDIT: Meant to post last night that AK is suing. Point jumped ahead of me there.

Draft saved Draft deleted