1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi hoops coach arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

According to AP, the University of Mississippi men's basketball coach Andy Kennedy has been arrested in Cincinnati after a cab driver complained that the coach punched him and shouted racial slurs.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081218/NEWS01/312180060/1055/NEWS

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The boosters are probably psyched. ;D

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Of course, it wouldn't be Cincinnati unless there was drama.

FWIW, the Cincy Enquirer's Paul Daugherty blogs: "Yep, actually talked to Someone Who Would Know just a few minutes ago. He said the cabbie dropped a racial slur on a member of Andy's party as they got into the cab... AK and his four companions, all his assistant coaches, got out of the cab and hailed another. As they were on their way back to their hotel, cops pulled them over and charged AK with assault.
    My source said AK assaulted no one and has 4 eyewitnesses to swear to it.
    Given what I know of Kennedy from having covered him as a head coach and as Huggins' top assistant, I believe this account."

EDIT: Further FWIW... I, too, covered Andy and would be surprised if the cabbie's account was completely true. I would be willing to believe that some sort of scuffle happened, but I doubt Kennedy should be wearing the black hat and twisting his moustache. Probably a measure of truth in both stories, though I'd find it hard to believe the racial slur deal.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Amateur."

[​IMG]

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Are the four witnesses all assistant coaches?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

8. Killick

Beautiful.
    Tell you what, though, the Huggins years are taking a retroactive beating again in Cincinnati recently. Last week, Corie Blount, who was a member of UC's Final Four team in 92 and later was a Laker and Bull in the NBA, was arrested for massive weed possession. Feds got a tip that he was receiving a package of the sticky-icky via mail, so they staked him out. He got the package and went home, they followed and arrested him there. Found 29 pounds -- POUNDS! -- of weed at home, and something like $30,000 in cash. His living room must have looked like it was lined with hay bales for there to be 29 pounds of it.

But, I digress...

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

The last name says it all - Blount.

10. Killick

Yeah. Guess we should have known, huh?
    That, and when he repeatedly requested 420 as a jersey number. :p

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

He should have been arrested for losing to New Mexico by 33....

12. Notepad

Notepad Member

Guess Andy Kennedy won't be getting that Texas Western job.

Draft saved Draft deleted