1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi high schooler steals 103 bases ... in 30 games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Assists and steals in basketball; virtually all stats in volleyball.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Rebounds, also.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Saves and/or shots in soccer. Possibly hockey too, but I never worked anywhere that had hockey.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

In hockey the worst stat is hits, it's the biggest homer stat I've seen and this is at the NHL level.

5. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

A couple of our area high school hockey teams actually keep blocked shots and report them as well. Some of the most insane stat-keeping I have ever seen. Consistently the "blocked shots" outnumber the shots on goal.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ehhhhh. Rebounds are usually *fairly* accurate -- they don't require a value judgment on the part of the stat-keeper, like steals and assists.

But yeah, the only basketball stat which is ironclad accurate is FT/FTA, which must be taken straight out of the official scorebook.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

This. An early call-in this year had one kid with 7 stolens bases in a game, two others with 6. Same team. Needless to say, their reported hitting stats didn't back it up.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Same here.

It was a Christian school in our coverage area. We don't staff their games, but one of their former coaches would always call in these asinine stolen base stats. He had one kid with six or seven steals in a game once. I went to one of their games just to see if it was legit, and -- surprise! -- they weren't. He was awarding steals for runners advancing on passed balls and throwing errors. We stopped using his stolen base totals after that.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I was once SID at a junior college, and the assistant coach in charge of stats was giving batters credit in their OBP when they reached base on a fielder's choice. I noticed it because they had one player who had not walked all year, yet had an OBP more than 100 points higher than his batting average.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The correct ruling on No. 1 is a fielder's choice.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Another category for abuse of the steal.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know this is off the overall point of the thread, which is stat-padding, but you are completely incorrect. #1 is a stolen base unless it is the late innings of a blowout in which case it is defensive indifference. In no baseball game anywhere is it a fielder's choice. If you have been scoring it like that, you're as incompetent as the parent scorekeepers.

Draft saved Draft deleted