1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mission Accomplished !

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thought this was interesting.

www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2011/12/20111219151636570185.html

We leave behind only 10 operational bases, 500 military "trainers" and 15000 civilian contractors. And the oil companies.

So, except for being not at all over, it's all over. Over there.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Get ready for the coming bloodbath:

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Ending the war in Iraq is a very good accomplishment for Obama....only if the new government survives.

If it fails, Obama looks like an idiot for pulling us out when he did, even if he really had no choice in the matter.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

At somepoint, they have to figure it out for themselves. We never should have been there in the first place. I'm glad we're out, and I'll be happier still when we leave the shithole that is Afghanistan.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Shithole and money pit.

Just saw a quote from Joe Biden saying that "essentially the Taliban is not our enemy"
    How long before Mullah Omar is enjoying a Sam Adams with Obama and Karzai.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/world/middleeast/explosions-rock-baghdad-amid-iraqi-political-crisis.html?_r=1&hp

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

As well as the probable expansion of our proxy war with Iran (aka Sunni versus Shiite...)

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, 500 trainers. What a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude. Maybe they can get those 15,000 civilians to become Rangers or SEALs.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Weren't most of the Blackwater; Academi and Xe Services contractors exactly that? Former Rangers and SEALS and Special Forces?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I dunno, but if you're trying to say that the U.S. has a significant enough presence to not be considered out of Iraq, I think you're not correct.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Just noting our status. And I thought it was frankly interesting that the figures cited by Al-Jazeera appeared in/on very few western news outlets.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The DoD has pulled out.

And now, our State Department operates its own private army.

Draft saved Draft deleted