1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missing Toenail

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, May 11, 2009.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Yes, it has happened to me, and without a visit from Chef.

First off, I am extremely clumsy and bruise easily. On any given day, I have at least 5 bruises on various parts of my body and 90% of the time, I can't remember what exactly I ran into to get said bruise.

Same with the big toe that is now missing its toenail. I have no idea what I hit/ran into/dropped on it to cause this. I did know about a month ago that I was going to lose the nail. It finally came off Saturday night.

Now, somehow, only about 95% of the nail died. There is a small sliver of nail (less than an 1/8 of an inch) on the left hand side that is still "alive" and attached to my nail bed. Other than that, my nail bed is showing and exposed. You can see the new nail growing but it is so thin and small that it offers no protection to the sensitive nail bed.

I feel it would probably look less disgusting if ALL of the nail was gone, but in typical Lieslntx fashion, I can't seem to do anything the normal, easy way.

Anyway, not sure if it was worth it's own thread or not, but suffice it to say that I am quite bummed about how disgusting my big toe looks. Not to mention that anything touching it hurts, since the skin is so sensitive. Besides, it's summer time in Texas and I can't wear sandals or flipflops since it looks so freaking nasty.

2. KG

KG Active Member

Ouch! I'd say screw the looks and wear sandals whenever possible. It should be getting air to prevent infection or something, I think.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I haven't seen it, sorry.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Just paint the skin where the nail used to be.

No one will ever know.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

You know, only Norm would tell me to paint skin that has never seen air for 41 years! And I have thought of leaving it uncovered (I have a bandage on it now) when I'm at home to let it get used to the air. But, it really is sensitive.

Trust me, FDP, it's pretty darned disgusting.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I used to lose my big toenails all the time when I was playing hoops on the regular, and getting stomped on by big lugs in the post.

The best thing to do is just take it easy for a few days and let it 'dry out'.

Once that happens, it won't hurt anymore, and you'll be good until the nail starts growing in more.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have issues with ingrown toenails and had had my big toenail removed several times. It's really not that big a deal.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It's not the first time it has happened to me either. Happened to the other toe about 12 years ago.

It's sort of a big deal (to me) because it really does hurt right now. Especially since that little sliver keeps getting pulled on.

And call me vain if you want, but I am really bummed about it being sandal season and my toe looking like a freak toe.

9. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Since you live in Texas, isn't it always sandal season?!?!

I say wear sandals....I doubt anyone will notice it. But watch for infection and if it hurts that bad, take Advil or Motrin.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Wow, that's a lot of gauze for a missing toenail!

It's always the little things that seem to hurt the worst!

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had one turn up in a sandwich years ago but I doubt it was yours. Nasty ol' thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted