1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missing reporter's body likely found

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 10, 2012.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Magic: The Gathering is a game played through trading playing cards (think Dungeons and Dragons). Some cards are more rare than others, and can fetch a pretty penny. They estimated that he had cards in his possession worth as much as $5,000 and $10,000 per card.

I did not know Sean, but the people here that did know him spoke very highly of him. He was a free spirit, but a very generous and caring person. The day the news hit the News Journal, it was a very somber newsroom. From what I heard, he wasn't the type to get mixed up in any kind of trouble, so his death was a bit of a shock.

Not much is known about the twin brothers, outside of the fact that they were known to play Magic at local comic stores.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I can't fathom gaming cards "worth an estimated $25,000 to $100,000."

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Trust me, the stuff is worth that much.

I was involved from the second year on.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beta-Black-Lotus-PSA-9-MINT-Graded-MTG-Magic-the-Gathering-RARE-Power-9-P9-/180998395272?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item2a24585588

Think about it this way, some baseball card collections are worth that much.

You know how rare the early Mantles are.

This game has been around for 20 years, and some of these cards were taken out of the game 18 years ago, because they are such game-breakers.

If you have 'em, you can use 'em, and there is, believe it or not, a professional circuit.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You can tell the guy loved life by his smile, his mannerisms, his clothes and that hair. I can't imagine he had any idea these people would harm him. Makes me sad for him and his family. The good die young.

Draft saved Draft deleted