1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miss Hill really outdid herself this time..thanks ESPN..thanks for the gift...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

that keeps on giving.

What a HORRIBLE article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/080822

I wonder if she took the results from an African American gallup poll to come to such a result.

There are partial truths in there, but to act as if it has added importance to the African American community? ::)

What the hell is ESPN thinking, allowing garbage like this to be posted on their site?

2. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Re: Miss Hill really outdid herself this time..thanks ESPN..thanks for the gift.

The potential for a home run column was there. This was a Joe Mauer sacrifice fly.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Exactly. I had an issue with the climate around the '04 team, which to me was an un-american welcome for our very american players. It's clear to me that we sometimes see color over country, looking at the reception the Williams sisters have received compared to some of the foreign players they're up against and other examples I can bring up. But to act like her the black community put stock into what's going on in with this '08 team in terms of upliftment says more about her inferiority complex.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hmm, sounds like something she might've wanted to mention before she made her faux pas a while back...

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

i've seen worse. it's an interesting angle...

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'd say the enormous popularity of this team goes a long way toward disproving the notion that the 04 team was so disparaged because of race.

The 04 team was excruciating to watch. This year's team is an utter joy to watch. I think they play as hard defensively as any international team I've ever seen, they pass the ball, play full court, they don't let up, and they took this very seriously and began preparing long in advance. They've even shown the occasional ability to hit 3-pointers. In short, they've done everything the 04 team did not.

If the 04 team would've approached the games the way this team does, they would've been beloved also, you never would heard any of that shit. The racial composition on both teams is exactly the same, one's enormously popular the other was scorned, the reason is solely because of the different ways they prepared for and played the games.

7. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

A sacrifice fly suggests that something positive came out of it. Reads more like a popup to the shortstop to end the inning to me.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Disclosure: I am Caucasian.

Having said that, the column stunk.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I guess the hockey comment was thrown in there as her "proof" that this is a racial issue?

Shaky premise badly executed.

At the very least, it would have been great if she could have gotten a quote from at least one of the "black sports figures" that care so much about this. Just one. Otherwise, it reads to me like she is taking her opinion and attributing it to others.

Edit: Stoney, well put.

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I can't help but think of Bob Uecker reading this column and saying one of two things:

A) Juuuuuussst a bit outside.

B) Swiiiiiiing and a miss....strike three.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

By comparison, Wild Thing had the best control in history.

12. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

"I hate this f$#@&^% song."

Draft saved Draft deleted