1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miss California versus Gay Blogger Perez Hilton On Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 21, 2009.

1. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The fact that Perez Hilton is judging Miss USA or whatever it was, tells you it's time for pageants to leave us...

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, she didn't, but she did. She was asked if states should allow same-sex marriage. She said she believes marriage should be between a man and a woman. That's a "no" answer to the question.

Why the issue was even relevant to the pageant in the first place is beyond me. Why any of these women are asked anything beyond the basics is beyond me. You might as well ask them their favourite flavour of yogurt for all the positive impact their answers will have on the world around them. And the Miss USA pageant deserves nothing but scorn for the very simple reason that it invited "Perez" to participate and gave him a platform for his patented brand of publicity whoring.

3. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I assure you, 2much, that I could care less what this third-string celeb blogger thinks, does, or says. What annoys me is he criticizes this contestant for expressing her opinion on the basis that, in his world view, her comments are not PC or gay-friendly, or whatever.

Sometimes, I wonder why we were so quick to be accepting of bloggers because most of them turn out to be people who are wannabe reporters or wannabe commentators whose opinions you wouldn't want to listen to anyway.

But this guy has broken through and we are all the poorer for it. While Miss Calif. is allowed her opinion, I find it odd that someone is not drowning out Perez Hilton to at least make this a fair debate rather than the pro-gay agenda mess it is becoming.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

uh, Perez criticizes her opinion because he's gay....seems pretty clear to me. But, as I said and others... the pageant sucks, he sucks, she sucks.... it's all a blight.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I saw it - it wasn't that she came out for men-women marriage only, it was that she said the great thing about America is that we have a choice.

“Well I think its great that Americans are able to choose one or the other,” she said. “We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be between a man and a woman. Thank you very much.”

We do?

And Perez fit right in with the rest of the judges, Keenan Thompson, one of Trump's sons, a recently dispatched Celebrity Apprentice contestant who holds a briefcase on Deal or No Deal, Willie Geist, and former Hefner girlfriend Holly Madison.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Not that the issue of gay marriage affects me, because to the best of my knowledge, I'm not gay. Still, I didn't care all that much for Ms. California's answer.

That being said, when a non-celebrity like Perez Hilton drops the c-word to describe her, then I start to feel bad for her. She was asked a question. She answered it, and just because she didn't answer it the way Perez or others may have liked, she's still entitled to her opinion.

http://www.kansascity.com/stargazing/story/1153833.html

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm not sure why anybody watches this crap in the first place.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've kinda found him to be like Mo Rocca -- living off 15 minutes of fame that need to be up.
    She answered a question, he didn't like the answer and attacked her for it. Her answer differed with his -- welcome to America.

9. Who cares?
    But if this woman doesn't have a book deal from Regnery by the end of the week, I'll eat my hat.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't care about civil rights either, because I'm not black.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Fenian at the end of the week:

[​IMG]

I mostly just wanted to post it because it's a ridiculously strange picture.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd make the codger eat that ugly red hat first.

Draft saved Draft deleted